In a bid to woo investors back to West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said there would be no land hurdle for setting up industry in the state and her government would not allow any bandhs and blockades.
"If you want to invest in Bengal, land will not be a problem and anybody holding land in excess of the ceiling can send us proposals. We have cleared seven such cases," the Chief Minister said at the inauguration of 'Bengal Leads 2012 and investment' seminar.
Banerjee told the industry heads that Bengal was No.1 in industry in the not-too-distant past, but regretted that because of reasons known to everybody the state now lagged behind.
"Our vision is to make the state flourish with industrial activities," Banerjee said.
She said that not only large industries, there was ample scope for investment in fisheries, healthcare and the small scale sector in the state.
In addition to this, she said the state had cheap and good human capital, natural resources like forests and rivers offering immense opportunity for investment.
Taking a jibe at the previous Left front government, she said, "I play the bat directly and not for match fixing".
She said Bengal was also a good stepping stone for investors who serve Northeastern states and neighbouring countries like Bangladesh.
Prominent industrialists from outside West Bengal who attended the seminar include Llyod chairman Atul Punj, DLF Vice-Chairman Rajeev Singh, Sajjan Jindal of JSW Steel along with local industry captains like Y C Deveshwar of ITC, RPG Sanjeev Group Chief Sanjiv Goneka, GP Goenka of Duncan Group, Purnendu Chatterjee from TCG, M K Jalan of Kevenkar Agro, Harsh Netio of Bengal Ambuja among others.
Land Not a Problem for New Industry in Bengal: Mamata
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- WADA Suspends India's National Dope Testing Laboratory
- Why Srinagar's High Profile Gupkar Road Is No More A Passage In Paradise
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh