Paying homage to father of white revolution in India Dr Verghese Kurien, who catapulted India from being a milk-deficient country to the world's largest milk producer, 'Amul's' mascot for the first time ever was seen weeping (since 1964) in an advertisement released today.
"Thank You For Giving us Hausla, Pragati & Anand......Dr V Kurien 1912-2012," the ad released by Amul's advertising agency DaCunah Communications read.
The ad shows the young iconic Muppet, usually attired in polka dot frock and shown smiling, draped in a saree and weeping, with two ladies standing alongside.
It was released on the official website of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation
(GCMMF), thanking the 'Father of White Revolution' for his contributions.
Kurien, who passed away yesterday, played a key role in formation of Amul, which broke the local trade cartel 65 years ago, paving way for the dairy co-operative sector to flourish in Gujarat. He served GCMMF from 1973 to 2006.
"The Amul ad-campaign was started by Dr Verghese Kurien way back in 1964-65, when he gave a free hand to Slyvster da
Cunha, the owner of ad agency," R S Sodhi, Managing Director, GCMMF, told PTI.
"Continuing the tradition in true spirit of Amul this ad pays homage to Dr V
Kurien," he said.
Amul, which began its journey with just two village dairy co-operative societies and 247 litres of milk, has grown to be a Rs 11,668 crore brand with milk collection of 3.88 billion litres in 2011-12.
Today, GCMMF, which markets its dairy products under brand Amul, has emerged as India's largest integrated dairy products manufacturing and marketing organisation.
Kurien's Death Makes Amul Girl Weep for the First Time
Courtsey - Amul on Facebook
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CJI To Consider Chidambaram's Case For Urgent Listing; ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- Public Transport Resumes In Parts Of Kashmir, Students Still Stay Away From Schools
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth 'Inconvenient To Cowards': Priyanka Gandhi Backs Chidambaram
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- '... Await The Mentioned Hearing': Chidambaram's Lawyer Tells CBI After Moving SC
- Ahead Of DU's Student Union Polls, ABVP Amid Criticism Installs Savarkar's Statue Outside Campus
- 63 Dead This Monsoon Season In Rain-Ravaged Himachal Pradesh
- Delhi HC Grants Robert Vadra Four Weeks To File Rejoinder In Money Laundering Case
- Pakistan Says Will Approach ICJ Over India's Move On Kashmir
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur Passes Away At 89
- Preview: WI Vs IND, 1st Test
- Preview: Ashes, 3rd Test, ENG Vs AUS