Paying homage to father of white revolution in India Dr Verghese Kurien, who catapulted India from being a milk-deficient country to the world's largest milk producer, 'Amul's' mascot for the first time ever was seen weeping (since 1964) in an advertisement released today.
"Thank You For Giving us Hausla, Pragati & Anand......Dr V Kurien 1912-2012," the ad released by Amul's advertising agency DaCunah Communications read.
The ad shows the young iconic Muppet, usually attired in polka dot frock and shown smiling, draped in a saree and weeping, with two ladies standing alongside.
It was released on the official website of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation
(GCMMF), thanking the 'Father of White Revolution' for his contributions.
Kurien, who passed away yesterday, played a key role in formation of Amul, which broke the local trade cartel 65 years ago, paving way for the dairy co-operative sector to flourish in Gujarat. He served GCMMF from 1973 to 2006.
"The Amul ad-campaign was started by Dr Verghese Kurien way back in 1964-65, when he gave a free hand to Slyvster da
Cunha, the owner of ad agency," R S Sodhi, Managing Director, GCMMF, told PTI.
"Continuing the tradition in true spirit of Amul this ad pays homage to Dr V
Kurien," he said.
Amul, which began its journey with just two village dairy co-operative societies and 247 litres of milk, has grown to be a Rs 11,668 crore brand with milk collection of 3.88 billion litres in 2011-12.
Today, GCMMF, which markets its dairy products under brand Amul, has emerged as India's largest integrated dairy products manufacturing and marketing organisation.
Kurien's Death Makes Amul Girl Weep for the First Time
Courtsey - Amul on Facebook
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Gets Pooran; Punjab 131/8 (16)
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development of Ladakh troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- American Poet Louise Glück Wins Nobel Literature Prize
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- IPL 2020: Why Gayle Missed Out On Playing His First Match For KXIP