Karnataka High Court today directed the government to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by Joint Commissioner Crime Pranab Mohanty to investigate into recent murder of RTI activist Lingaraju.
Hearing the suo motu PIL on the matter, a division bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen asked the government the government to submit its final report on the matter by February 10.
The court earlier lauded the efforts of senior advocate Hasmath Pasha as amicus curiae in the case and directed payment of Rs 40,000 to him which he in turn donated to Lingaraju's wife.
Government advocate informed the court the Azad Nagar Corporator Gowramma, an accused in the case, was arrested today. Her husband Govindaraju, against whom Lingaraju had filed a private complaint before Lokayukta court, has already been arrested.
Observing that no proper protection was given to such whistleblowers in the state, the court directed the government to frame guidelines on the lines of those in Haryana, for protection of whistleblowers and RTI activists and to provide adequate protection to witnesses in the Lingaraju murder case.
On November 20, Lingaraju (40), an RTI activist was hacked to death at Vittal Nagar in Chamarajpet here by three unidentified persons in front of his house when he and his wife were fetching water from a public tap.
Recently, Lingaraju had filed a private complaint in the Lokayukta Court against Govindraju, husband of Azadnagar corporator Gowramma. On November 9, Lokayuukta police had raided Gowramma and Govindraju's residence and recovered property worth over Rs 16 crore.
Lingaraju is also reported to have provided crucial documents, during preliminary investigation of the cases involving Gowramma and Govindraju, which subsequently led to the raids, police said.
K'taka Govt Asked to Form SIT to Probe RTI Activist's Murder
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bombay High Court Grants Bail to Actor Rhea Chakraborty
- Truce In AIADMK: OPS Announces Edappadi K. Palaniswami As CM Candidate
- 'Courageous' Suryakumar Yadav A Bright Spot For Mumbai Indians
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In TMC
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Media Trial Of Rhea Chakraborty Shows No Respect For Ethics And Propriety
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Shiv Sena Lashes Out At BJP On Handling Of Vijay Mallya Case
- J&K: Militants Open Fire At BJP Leader, PSO Killed
- Hathras Case: UP Govt Grants Probe Panel 10 More Days To File Report
- Public Places Cannot Be Occupied 'Indefinitely': SC On Shaheen Bagh
- French Open: Thiem Stunned In 5-hour Epic As Schwartzman Enters Semis
- No Need To Panic: Steve Smith