Kolkata Knight Riders bowling consultant Wasim Akram today hoped that the team would do well under new captain Gautam Gambhir and, it is time to look beyond local icon Sourav Ganguly.
"It's time to move on. Har cheez ka ek time hota hai (There is a time for everything)," Akram replied when asked about what will be the mindset of a team that won't have the former India captain in its line-up.
"We have a new captain (Gambhir), we have a young side with different mindsets," Akram said.
The legendary Pakistani left-arm pacer, however, said there were no hard feelings for Ganguly.
"Sourav Ganguly is one of my very close friends and he is like family. We will miss him as a leader. But it's time to move on," the 44-year-old said on the sidelines of KKR's practice in the build up to the IPL opener against Chennai Super Kings on April 8.
Akram said the first goal was to make it to the semis and with India's World Cup winning duo of Gautam Gambhir and Yusuf Pathan in the ranks, the side would be high on confidence.
"The aim is always to play in the final. We came sixth last year, but we played well, though we were a bit short on the run-rate. Things have improved. First goal is to qualify for the semi-finals and from there on we will see."
He said that the strength has bolstered due to the presence of Yusuf Pathan and Gautam Gambhir.
"The captain is the guy who is going to lead from the front. With all the World Cup success behind them, I'm sure it's going to rub in on the players."
He said his job was to teach technicalities to bowlers as also about wrist positioning, the bounce, ball positioning and how to bowl.
"I really enjoyed my stint last year. The boys are very responsive. It's a very good side. It's an exciting time for me to build a new team for the IPL-4," he said.
The KKR bowling consultant said the team had pace attack to be led by Australian strike bowler Brett Lee.
"(James) Pattison is very sharp. Jaydev played for India last year. He is still very young. He has a bright future for him. We have Balaji, who is very experienced. Lee is the fastest bowler in the world. There were also another left-arm pacer in Pradeep Sangwan. Then there is local kid Sami Ahmed.
I have heard a lot about Sami. It's time to share my experiences with them and give something back to these youngsters."
Akram is also hopeful that Bangladesh captain Shakib-al Hassan and Jacques Kallis will prove to be useful with their all-round abilities.
"In T20, the more all rounders you have, the better it is. (Jacques) Kallis is there. Shakib al Hasan is one of the best players in one-day cricket. He can bowl with the new ball, he can open the innings as well as come at No 6. Shakib will be the first choice, but let him come back after this series (against Australia). I am very impressed with his performance over the past few years."
Stating that Lee and Shakib would make a difference, he said that there were also very good batsmen.
"Gautam as captain, Dav as coach, we have a good enough programme and are planning to do well in IPL IV."
KKR Will Do Well with Gambhir at Helm: Akram
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine