Defending the grant of visa to former Pakistan cricketer Javed Miandad, the Government today said the Home Ministry has followed "proper" procedures.
"It is a decision taken by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and the Government. What are the circumstances, what is considered when an approval is given... What goes into it, is an internal government matter," External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters here.
He was responding to a question about the opposition to the grant of visa to Miandad, an official of the Pakistan Cricket Board, for the India-Pakistan one-day.
Due to Miandad's family ties with Dawood Ibrahim, India's most wanted terrorist, there had been reports before a series in 2005 that any requests for a visa by the batting great could be turned down by the Indian government.
Khurshid, who was on private visit to the state, retorted: "It is the job of MHA. They have taken a decision. No Pakistani VISA gets cleared without MHA clearance. Inputs from all agencies taken into consideration. It is an internal procedure. Proper procedures have been gone through".
Apparently referring to Shiv Sena's objections over grant of visa, he said "Opposition only questions. Proper procedures have been gone through in this. Any law of prudence which had to be followed, it was followed, I am sure Law will take care".
When asked about the action contemplated against Majilis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA, Akbaruddin Owaisi for his alleged hate speech, Khurshid said legal procedures will be followed.
"I am not the Home Minister. I am sure the Home Minister gets full inputs from the intelligence bureau", he said.
Khushid Defends Granting of Visa to Javed Miandad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh
- Live, Windies v India, 1st Test, Day 1: Gabriel Dismisses Kohli, IND 25/3
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests