Kerala assembly today paid rich tributes to four time state chief minister and senior most congress leader K Karunakaran who died here on December 23.
In his reference, State Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan said Karunakaran was a leader who was admired by all people irrespective of political affiliations.
His contribution to the development of the state as a trade union activist, parliamentarian and an administrator would be remember for ever, Achuthanandan said.
State Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said Karunakaran's practical approach towards development contributed tothe growth of the state.
Opposition leader Oommen Chanday said one of the major contributions of Karunakran was that he made Kerala a naxal free state during his tenure as Home Minister in the 1970s.
Karunakaran rescued Kerala from the threat of naxalism, Chandy said. By taking police and people into confidence, Karunakaran initiated stern legal action against naxalites which was gaining roots at that time in Kerala, he said.
His role as an able administrator and in taking bold decisions for the development of the state would be remembered for ever, Chandy said.
Speaker K Radhakrishnan and other party leaders of both ruling CPI-M led LDF and Congress headed Opposition UDF also spoke on the occasion and paid tributes to Karunakaran.
The assembly was adjourned for day as a mark of respect to Karunakaran.
Kerala Assembly Pays Rich Tributes to Karunakaran
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Will Form The Next Govt? Results Of High-Stakes Lok Sabha Elections On Thursday
- Lok Sabha Election Results: Why Karnataka, Bengal, Odisha May Spring A Surprise
- Lok Sabha Election Results: Regional Parties May Hold More Trumps Than BJP, Congress
- Anxious Congress, UPA Allies Await LS Poll Results After Exit Poll Trauma
- Home Ministry Alerts States About Possible Violence During Counting Of Votes
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- CWC 2019: There Will Be Disappointment If India Rely Too Heavily On Kohli, Warns Tendulkar
- Opposition 'Tarnishing' India's Democracy By Questioning EVMs: Amit Shah
- 'Enfeebled Commission': Congress Slams EC, Says It Is Black Day For Democracy
- Govt Clears Names Of Four Judges For Elevation To Supreme Court: Report
- Rahul Gandhi vs Smriti Irani, Modi vs Ajay Rai, Rajnath vs Poonam Sinha: Key Contests In UP
- Delhi Minister, Activist Prashant Bhushan Booked For Tweets On EVM Hacking
- Indian Air Force Successfully Test Fires Aerial Version Of BrahMos Missile From Su-30 MKI Fighter Aircraft
- Party Workers Keep 24-Hour Vigil Outside EVM Strongrooms Ahead Of Counting Day