Kerala assembly today paid rich tributes to four time state chief minister and senior most congress leader K Karunakaran who died here on December 23.
In his reference, State Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan said Karunakaran was a leader who was admired by all people irrespective of political affiliations.
His contribution to the development of the state as a trade union activist, parliamentarian and an administrator would be remember for ever, Achuthanandan said.
State Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said Karunakaran's practical approach towards development contributed tothe growth of the state.
Opposition leader Oommen Chanday said one of the major contributions of Karunakran was that he made Kerala a naxal free state during his tenure as Home Minister in the 1970s.
Karunakaran rescued Kerala from the threat of naxalism, Chandy said. By taking police and people into confidence, Karunakaran initiated stern legal action against naxalites which was gaining roots at that time in Kerala, he said.
His role as an able administrator and in taking bold decisions for the development of the state would be remembered for ever, Chandy said.
Speaker K Radhakrishnan and other party leaders of both ruling CPI-M led LDF and Congress headed Opposition UDF also spoke on the occasion and paid tributes to Karunakaran.
The assembly was adjourned for day as a mark of respect to Karunakaran.
Kerala Assembly Pays Rich Tributes to Karunakaran
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP Stalwart Arun Jaitley To Be Cremated Today, Leaders Pay Last Respects
- Obituary | Arun Jaitley: Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- '..We End Up With Our Voice Being Taken Away': IAS Officer Hailed For Role In Kerala Floods Quits
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- I Am Disappointed With Myself: KL Rahul
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Cup Final: Vicuna Blames Refereeing For MB's Loss To GKFC
- NASA Investigating First Crime Committed In Space: Report
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face