In a move to ensure free and fair polls in five states, Election Commission today directed 1200 observers to keep a hawk eye on movement of unaccounted cash and any violation of the model code.
At a day-long briefing, the full commission headed by S Y Quraishi and comprising V S Sampath and H S Brahma, apprised the observers in detail of their duties with special focus on measures to check use of black money in the polls.
The observers were also briefed about upkeep of EVMs, checking of voters' slips and other drills to be followed during the 'code of conduct' period and during actual polls in states of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur.
The EC also asked the observers to keep in touch with the 24X7 control room created exclusively for the Assembly polls at its headquarters here and report every instance of cash movement and any other instances of poll code violation to it.
Complimenting them for their good performance in the past elections, Quraishi said election management in India has become an example for the world and several countries now wish to learn skills from ECI and asked them to ensure quick redressal of complaints.
The EC had recently announced a seven-phase polls in Uttar Pradesh between February 4 and 28 and single phase elections in Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Goa.
Punjab and Uttarakhand will go to polls on January 30, while elections will be held in Manipur on January 28 and in Goa on March 3.
The counting of votes in all the states will be held on March 4.
Keep an Eye on Movement of Unaccounted Cash: EC
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly