The eternal Bollywood romanticist Shammi Kapoor had a cherished tryst which he will never be able to keep.
The 'Yahoo' boy as he was popularly known here, was scheduled to visit Kashmir next month -- a locale which he made famous in the length and breadth of India through his movies -- to stay at a hotel where he started his romance with the Valley during the shooting of Kashmir Ki Kali.
But to the disappointment of his fans here, the actor will never make that trip and his death was deeply mourned by a dedicated group of Shammi fans.
As the news of the actor's death flashed across the country, the social networking sites in Kashmir saw postings by his fans and even brief obituaries in remembrance.
"My nostalgia milestone, who divided my life into two halves of before and after --- Shammi Kapoor --- left us," read a message by fan of the actor on Facebook.
Another Kashmiri posted a Youtube link of Shammi Kapoor's song 'Aay Gulbadan' and wrote, "In a vague sense, Shammi Kapoor embodied the true spirit of Kashmir".
For Syed Muzaffar, a Srinagar resident, Shammi Kapoor was a rage during his teenage years. He remembers an incident when he camped outside a cinema for a week to get a ticket for the first show of a Shammi Kapoor film.
Today, he said, he will miss the actor and he is confident that he would not be alone in missing the man - who infused the image of romance and joy with the mountains and waters of the valley.
Some of the most memorable songs and sequences of Shammi Kapoor -- which will be hummed again and again in the Valley -- like Deewana Hua Badal and Tareef Karun Kya Uski Jisne Tumhe Banaya, were shot in the Valley.
Be it Kashmir's Dal Lake, the fabled Mughal Gardens or scenic resorts of Gulmarg and Pahalgam, Shammi Kapoor made all these household names in India.
And tweets acknowledged that Shammi Kapoor was Kashmir's best brand ambassador.
Kashmiri Fans Mourn Shammi Kapoor's Death
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-Old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4% Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Kejriwal Announces Food To Be Served To Poor In 325 Delhi Schools
- 'We Are At War And Not Winning': UN Chief Calls For Wartime Plan To Fight COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Prasar Bharati To Re-run 'Ramayan' From Mar 28
- Coronavirus: Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots – REPORT
- UP Cops Make People Hop With Bags During Coronavirus Lockdown
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Working Together With G20 Countries Against Coronavirus Pandemic: Trump
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19