Stage is set for the re-entry of K Muraleedharan, son of veteran leader late K Karunakaran, to the Congress with the state leadership deciding to make a formal plea to AICC chief Sonia Gandhi to take him back.
Kerala PCC president Ramesh Chennithala today said he would and former chief minister Oommen Chandy would meet Gandhi early next month to request re-admission of Muraleedharan, who broke ranks with the parent body about six years back.
Muraleedharan's open expression of wish to rejoin the Congress and death of his father last month have given momentum to his return to the Congress with all senior leaders including Defence Minister A K Antony supporting his case.
'Myself and Opposition leader Oommen Chandy will meet AICC Chief Sonia Gandhi and request her to take Muraleedharan back into the congress', Chennithala told reporters here today.
"We hope a favourable decision would be taken," he said. He said they would be meeting Gandhi after the completion of the ongoing Kerala Mochana yatra campaign headed by Chandy, which is to conclude here on February 4.
A former KPCC president and ex-MP, Muraleedharan was suspended from the Congress some six years back after he broke ranks with the party and floated DIC-K with the blessings of his father.
Though Karunakaran returned to the Congress after DIC-K proved an electoral flop ,his son kept away merging his outfit with NCP and headed its stte unit for while.
After a while, Muraleedharan himself started airing his eagerness to get back to the Congress but his re-entry had been opposed by sections in the state unit.
Muraleedharan had been waiting for a return to Congress after resigning as NCP state president last year. He had also actively worked for Congress candidates in the last local body elections in the state.
Karunakaran's Son to Return to Congress Soon
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Jaitley
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- Rahul Gandhi-Led Opposition Team Not Allowed To Leave Srinagar Airport, Sent Back
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Press Council Of India Moves SC To Back Communication Blackout In Jammu And Kashmir
- Live, Durand Cup Final: Marcus Joseph Brace Secures Trophy For GKFC
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths