Stage is set for the re-entry of K Muraleedharan, son of veteran leader late K Karunakaran, to the Congress with the state leadership deciding to make a formal plea to AICC chief Sonia Gandhi to take him back.
Kerala PCC president Ramesh Chennithala today said he would and former chief minister Oommen Chandy would meet Gandhi early next month to request re-admission of Muraleedharan, who broke ranks with the parent body about six years back.
Muraleedharan's open expression of wish to rejoin the Congress and death of his father last month have given momentum to his return to the Congress with all senior leaders including Defence Minister A K Antony supporting his case.
'Myself and Opposition leader Oommen Chandy will meet AICC Chief Sonia Gandhi and request her to take Muraleedharan back into the congress', Chennithala told reporters here today.
"We hope a favourable decision would be taken," he said. He said they would be meeting Gandhi after the completion of the ongoing Kerala Mochana yatra campaign headed by Chandy, which is to conclude here on February 4.
A former KPCC president and ex-MP, Muraleedharan was suspended from the Congress some six years back after he broke ranks with the party and floated DIC-K with the blessings of his father.
Though Karunakaran returned to the Congress after DIC-K proved an electoral flop ,his son kept away merging his outfit with NCP and headed its stte unit for while.
After a while, Muraleedharan himself started airing his eagerness to get back to the Congress but his re-entry had been opposed by sections in the state unit.
Muraleedharan had been waiting for a return to Congress after resigning as NCP state president last year. He had also actively worked for Congress candidates in the last local body elections in the state.
Karunakaran's Son to Return to Congress Soon
THE LATEST ISSUE
- End Of A Generation? Advani, Mulayam, Sonia, Deve Gowda's Political Career Fading Out
- How Modi-Shah Arithmetic Proved Opposition Calculus Wrong
- CBI Issues Look Out Notice Against Former Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar
- The Importance Of Modi Goes Beyond Narrow Politics: Mahesh Rangarajan
- Pak Foreign Minister Says Ready To Hold Talks With New India Govt
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Ex-village Head, Who Campaigned For Smriti Irani, Shot Dead In Amethi
- LS Poll Results LIVE: YSRCP Chief Jaganmohan Reddy Meets PM Modi
- Rahul Gandhi's Snub To Veteran Congress Leaders Who Put Sons Above Party Interest
- After Intel Reports On ISIS Boat, Kerala Coast On High Alert
- ICC World Cup: India Suffer Humiliating Six-Wicket Defeat Against New Zealand
- Over 700 People Homeless After Heavy Rain Lashes Tripura
- Once A Decorated Striker, Bhaichung Bhutia Yet To Dribble Past Political Opponents And Score
- Ex-Jet Airways Chairman Naresh Goyal, Wife Denied Permission To Travel Abroad In Mumbai