Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi today congratulated veteran director K Balachander for bagging the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award, describing him as a "milestone" in Tamil cinema.
"The fact that he is the first Tamil director to receive the award is furthermore special. My dear friend K Balachander brought in a change in Tamil cinema by infusing new ideas and thereby created a social thinking. None can deny he is an important milestone," he said.
In a statement here, Karunanidhi said he was rejoiced by the fact that the award had brought national recognition and accolades to Balachander.
He extended greetings to Balachander on behalf of himself and the people of Tamil Nadu.
The Phalke award, given for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema, was announced yesterday.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa also congratulated Balachander on his being conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke award.
"Balachander has made yeoman contribution to Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi film field not only as an ace director but also as a story and dialogue writer. He has the distinction of introducing many leading actors. All his films have conveyed a subtle message to society. It is befitting that India's highest award in cinema, Dadasaheb Phalke Award is conferred on him," Yeddyurappa said in the message.
Karuna Praises Balachander for Getting Phalke Award
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP Stalwart Arun Jaitley To Be Cremated Today, Leaders Pay Last Respects
- '..We End Up With Our Voice Being Taken Away': IAS Officer Hailed For Role In Kerala Floods Quits
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- I Am Disappointed With Myself: KL Rahul
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Cup Final: Vicuna Blames Refereeing For MB's Loss To GKFC
- NASA Investigating First Crime Committed In Space: Report
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face