Tamil Nadu wicket-keeper batsman Dinesh Karthik was today included in the Indian team for next two cricket one-dayers against Sri Lanka as a replacement for captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who has been forced to sit out because of a two-match ODI ban.
Lanky Pacamen Ishant Sharma has also been recalled into the squad in place of fellow pacer S Sreesanth who has been out of action since testing positive for swine flu.
These were the only two changes made in the squad announced by BCCI secretary N Srinivasan after a selection committee meeting here.
Yuvraj Singh, who has not played a single match because of a finger injury and flu, has been retained in the squad which is an indication that the elegant left hander was expected to be fit for the remaining three matches of the five-match series.
Karthik will keep wickets for the third and fourth matches after Dhoni was banned for two ODIs with immediate effect for the team's slow over-rate during the second one-dayer in Nagpur.
The third one-dayer is scheduled to be played in Cuttack on December 21 while the historic Eden Gardens will be the venue for the fourth match on December 24. The five-match series is currently tied 1-1.
Team for third and fourth ODIs:
Virender Sehwag (capt), Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Suresh Raina, Ravinder Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Ishant Sharma, Virat Kohli, Sudip Tyagi, Praveen Kumar and Pragyan Ojha.
Karthik Replaces Dhoni, Ishant Recalled in Place of Sreesanth
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh