Continuing its crackdown on illegal transport of iron ore two days after the Supreme Court ordered suspension of mining operations in the district, the district administration today seized about four lakh tons of the mineral valued at about Rs 4.33 crore.
Official sources said personnel from the Revenue and Mines and Geology Department seized 3.84 lakh tons of iron ore being illegally transported in 24 lorries in Sandur taluk, which belonged to Tomatro Mining company.
The company was transporting the ore to Janaki Steels, they said.
Another consignment of the company's 3,800 tons, being transported in railway wagons was also seized, they said adding the estimated value of the material was Rs 3.84 crore.
Authorities also seized 3,960 tons of iron ore valued at Rs 1.50 crore, which was being transported from Mysore Minerals in Sandur to Jindal company in railway wagons and lorries, officials said.
On July 29, the apex court had ordered immediate suspension of mining and transportation of iron ore from Bellary district, stating that "over-exploitation" of the area has caused large-scale environmental degradation.
The court passed the order by taking note of the report of its expert panel, Central Empowered Committee, which said most miners in the region were indulging in illegal mining, causing considerable environmental damage.
Karnataka: Four Lakh Tons of Iron Ore Seized
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Corona Outbreak Afflicted By Communal Virus? Blaming Tablighi Jamaat Could Be Misdirected
- Coronavirus Live Updates: No Community Transmission Yet In Delhi, Says Kejriwal; India Toll Continues To Rise
- Government Identifies 10 Coronavirus Hotspots As Positive Cases Surge
- Is Coronavirus Sexually Transmitted And Other Questions People Want To Ask
- Tendulkar's 'Coronavirus' Diary: Unplugged Music, TV Serials And Lot Of Sleep
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Over 1,500 Evacuated From Nizamuddin Markaz, Says Kejriwal; Seeks Action
- India Needs Aggressive Measures To Protect Marginalised In These Times
- Coronavirus Crisis: 60% Cut In Salaries Of Maharashtra MLAs, MLCs
- Spain Sees Record Death Toll With 849 Fatalities In 24 Hours: Govt
- Another Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh, Cops Ask People To Stay Indoors
- No Play, No Pay For IPL
- From Akshay-Salman To Janhvi-Sara Ali Khan, Corona Will Spare None
- BWF Freezes Badminton Rankings