Continuing its crackdown on illegal transport of iron ore two days after the Supreme Court ordered suspension of mining operations in the district, the district administration today seized about four lakh tons of the mineral valued at about Rs 4.33 crore.
Official sources said personnel from the Revenue and Mines and Geology Department seized 3.84 lakh tons of iron ore being illegally transported in 24 lorries in Sandur taluk, which belonged to Tomatro Mining company.
The company was transporting the ore to Janaki Steels, they said.
Another consignment of the company's 3,800 tons, being transported in railway wagons was also seized, they said adding the estimated value of the material was Rs 3.84 crore.
Authorities also seized 3,960 tons of iron ore valued at Rs 1.50 crore, which was being transported from Mysore Minerals in Sandur to Jindal company in railway wagons and lorries, officials said.
On July 29, the apex court had ordered immediate suspension of mining and transportation of iron ore from Bellary district, stating that "over-exploitation" of the area has caused large-scale environmental degradation.
The court passed the order by taking note of the report of its expert panel, Central Empowered Committee, which said most miners in the region were indulging in illegal mining, causing considerable environmental damage.
Karnataka: Four Lakh Tons of Iron Ore Seized
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Chidambaram Produced In Rouse Avenue Court, CBI Likely To Seek 14-Day Custody
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- With P. Chidambaram's Arrest, His Anticipatory Bail Plea Before SC Rendered Infructuous
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- WATCH: Guns Fail To Fire Shots During Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra's State Honours Ceremony
- Oppn Protests At Jantar Mantar, Demands Release Of Detained J&K Leaders
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- Live, 1st Test, Day 1: SL Win Toss, Opt To Bat First Vs NZ