In a relief for Tibetan spiritual leader Ogyen Trinely Dorje, a court in Himachal Pradesh today accepted the plea of the prosecution to drop the conspiracy charge against him in the case relating to recovery of foreign currencies from his monastery in January last year.
The spiritual guru was charged under section 120B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) in the case along with nine other accused.
The case was registered following seizure of currencies of 26 countries, including 1,20,197 Chinese Yuan and around Rs 50.3 lakh in Indian currency, from Gyuto Tantric University and monastery located on the outskirts of Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile, on January 28 last year.
"After considering the application moved by the prosecution to drop his name from the chargesheet, Judicial Magistrate Kanika Chawla has decided to delete his name", Assistant Public Prosecutor Ram Swaroop Sharma said.
The judge fixed August 4 as the next date of hearing against nine other accused charged in the same case.
Karmapa had made a plea for deletion of his name from the chargesheet and said he was only connected with day-to-day functioning of the trust and his role was confined only to religious preaching.
Una Deputy Commissioner had forwarded the plea of the Karmapa to state Home department along with comments and after considering the plea, the government decided to drop the charges against him and directed the official to file an application in the court to delete the charges against Karmapa.
The 26-year-old Karmapa is the spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu school, one of the four sects of Tibetan Buddhism. He joined the Dalai Lama in exile in 2000 and ever since his arrival in India has mostly lived at the monastery in Sidhbari near Dharamsala.
Karmapa to Be Freed of Charges in Currency Case
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly