Noted lawyer Hira Lall Sibal, father of Union minister Kapil Sibal, today passed away after prolonged illness. He was 98.
Sibal breathed his last here at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Centre at around 10:30 am, hospital officials said.
He was admitted in a critical condition a few days back as he was suffering from pneumonia and cardiac problems.
He was cremated here with full state honours this evening.
Keeping in view the illustrious services of H L Sibal in the fields of law and jurisprudence, the Punjab Government accorded a state cremation to him, an official spokesman said.
A contingent of Punjab Police fired a volley of shots in the air and reversed their arms as a mark of respect to the 98-year-old jurist.
He leaves four sons -- Virender Sibal, Jitendar Sibal (both retired IAS officers), former foreign secretary Kanwal Sibal and Kapil Sibal, besides a daughter, Asha Nanda.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was among those who attended the cremation of the legal luminary here. Badal also laid a wreath on the body of Sibal.
Earlier, Badal shared his sympathies with Union minister Kapil Sibal and other family members at his residence in Sector 5 and remained there for nearly two hours.
The chief minister described H L Sibal, recipient of the prestigious Padma Bhushan and Punjab Rattan awards, as an eminent jurist and an able administrator who had rendered distinguished service in the arena of law and jurisprudence.
Badal said Lall's death has left a void which would be difficult to fill and recalled the outstanding services of the renowned lawyer who practiced for over five decades at the Punjab and Haryana High Court and the Supreme Court.
Badal described the passing away of Sibal as a personal loss adding that he has shared warm ties with the Sibal family for many years.
Kapil Sibal's Father Hira Lall Sibal Dead
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Sabarimala: Restrictions On Women A 'Recent Phenomenon'
- Sabarimala Temple To Open Tomorrow Amid Threats And Warnings
- China Seeks India's Support In Fight With US
- #MeToo | Where’s The Line To Be Drawn When Everyone Has A Different Line?
- Opinion | #MeToo: Wield The Law To Achieve Real Justice
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Stinking Toilets In Trains: Blame It On Passengers
- 'Dawshobhuja A Durgachitra' On This Durga Puja
- NSUI President Fairoz Khan Quits After Sexual Harassment Charges
- Absconding Industrialist Vinay Mittal, Wanted In 7 Bank Frauds Cases, Extradited To India
- Former BSP MP's Son Brandishes Gun Outside 5-Star Hotel In Delhi, FIR Registered
- Congress Votes Get Reduced If I Campaign, Says Digvijaya Singh
- Asian Champions Trophy Hockey: Live Streaming, TV Listing, Squads, Complete Fixture
- Poll Strategist Prashant Kishor Appointed JD(U)’s Vice President
- He Was Obnoxious, Extremely Sexist: Dia Mirza Speaks Up Against Sajid Khan
- Kohinoor Diamond Was Neither Stolen Nor Forcibly Taken, It Was 'Surrendered' To British: ASI