Noted lawyer Hira Lall Sibal, father of Union minister Kapil Sibal, today passed away after prolonged illness. He was 98.
Sibal breathed his last here at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Centre at around 10:30 am, hospital officials said.
He was admitted in a critical condition a few days back as he was suffering from pneumonia and cardiac problems.
He was cremated here with full state honours this evening.
Keeping in view the illustrious services of H L Sibal in the fields of law and jurisprudence, the Punjab Government accorded a state cremation to him, an official spokesman said.
A contingent of Punjab Police fired a volley of shots in the air and reversed their arms as a mark of respect to the 98-year-old jurist.
He leaves four sons -- Virender Sibal, Jitendar Sibal (both retired IAS officers), former foreign secretary Kanwal Sibal and Kapil Sibal, besides a daughter, Asha Nanda.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was among those who attended the cremation of the legal luminary here. Badal also laid a wreath on the body of Sibal.
Earlier, Badal shared his sympathies with Union minister Kapil Sibal and other family members at his residence in Sector 5 and remained there for nearly two hours.
The chief minister described H L Sibal, recipient of the prestigious Padma Bhushan and Punjab Rattan awards, as an eminent jurist and an able administrator who had rendered distinguished service in the arena of law and jurisprudence.
Badal said Lall's death has left a void which would be difficult to fill and recalled the outstanding services of the renowned lawyer who practiced for over five decades at the Punjab and Haryana High Court and the Supreme Court.
Badal described the passing away of Sibal as a personal loss adding that he has shared warm ties with the Sibal family for many years.
Kapil Sibal's Father Hira Lall Sibal Dead
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Exit Polls Indicate Modi's Narrative Strikes A Chord With Indian Voters
- Exit Poll Results: Narendra Modi Projected To Return As PM; NDA Headed For Landslide Victory
- Exit Polls Predict Doom For Mahagathbandhan In Bihar
- BJP Has A Lot To Cheer As Exit Polls Predict Big Blow To Naveen Patnaik's BJD In Odisha
- Exit Polls Predict No Seat For PDP In Jammu & Kashmir
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Exit Polls Give BJP Clear Lead In Karnataka
- Oppn Parties Write To EC On PM Modi's Kedarnath Visit, Say Violation Of Poll Code
- 'Kamal Dabao Nahin Toh Thok Doonga': TMC Alleges Central Forces Of Intimidating Voters
- 'Serene And Spiritual', PM Modi Prays At Badrinath Temple, Meditates
- Spot-Fixing Scandal 2010: Afridi Claims He Confronted Three Tainted Pak Cricketers
- Farhan Akhtar Urges Bhopal To Vote Against Pragya Thakur, Gets His Dates Wrong
- Tej Pratap Yadav's Security Guards Beat Cameraperson, He Says 'Incident A Conspiracy To Murder Him'
- Yuvraj Singh: Is India's World Cup Hero And Celebrated All-Rounder Retiring?