Noted lawyer Hira Lall Sibal, father of Union minister Kapil Sibal, today passed away after prolonged illness. He was 98.
Sibal breathed his last here at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Centre at around 10:30 am, hospital officials said.
He was admitted in a critical condition a few days back as he was suffering from pneumonia and cardiac problems.
He was cremated here with full state honours this evening.
Keeping in view the illustrious services of H L Sibal in the fields of law and jurisprudence, the Punjab Government accorded a state cremation to him, an official spokesman said.
A contingent of Punjab Police fired a volley of shots in the air and reversed their arms as a mark of respect to the 98-year-old jurist.
He leaves four sons -- Virender Sibal, Jitendar Sibal (both retired IAS officers), former foreign secretary Kanwal Sibal and Kapil Sibal, besides a daughter, Asha Nanda.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was among those who attended the cremation of the legal luminary here. Badal also laid a wreath on the body of Sibal.
Earlier, Badal shared his sympathies with Union minister Kapil Sibal and other family members at his residence in Sector 5 and remained there for nearly two hours.
The chief minister described H L Sibal, recipient of the prestigious Padma Bhushan and Punjab Rattan awards, as an eminent jurist and an able administrator who had rendered distinguished service in the arena of law and jurisprudence.
Badal said Lall's death has left a void which would be difficult to fill and recalled the outstanding services of the renowned lawyer who practiced for over five decades at the Punjab and Haryana High Court and the Supreme Court.
Badal described the passing away of Sibal as a personal loss adding that he has shared warm ties with the Sibal family for many years.
Kapil Sibal's Father Hira Lall Sibal Dead
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Mulayam Singh 'Real Leader' Of Backwards, Not 'Fake' Like PM Modi: Mayawati
- 'Felt Let Down': Priyanka Chaturvedi Joins Shiv Sena After Quitting Congress
- MS Dhoni: Why No One Can Predict The Future of This Cricketing Superman
- I ‘Cursed’ ATS Chief Hemant Karkare, He Died: Sadhvi Pragya
- Prison Diary | By Kishorechandra Wangkhem
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- The Politics Of Degrees: Is It Important That Leaders Be Well Educated?
- Ole Navigates Tricky Territory As Manchester United's Season Hits Crunch-Time
- Free Trips And The Art Of Looting Public Money By Indian Sports Administrators
- It Is Okay To Dig Up The Dead During Elections In Tamil Nadu
- Welcome To Tulip Garden – A Game Of Normalcy In Seething Kashmir
- Movie Review: 'Kalank' Is A Wrong Movie At A Wrong Time From KJo's Gloss Factory
- VIDEO: Man Slaps Hardik Patel On Stage At Congress Meeting In Gujarat’s Surendranagar
- Ratan Tata Meets Mohan Bhagwat At RSS Headquarters In Nagpur
- Sadhvi Pragya Breaks Down At BJP Meet, Recalls 'Torture' In Custody
- EC Seeks Report From West Bengal Poll Body On Alleged Biopic Of Mamata Banerjee
- Was BJP Voted To Power To Change Names, Asks Priya Dutt
- Man Arrested For Questioning Goa Minister About Unemployment
- Union Minister Says Anyone Pointing Fingers At BJP Workers Will Pay For It In 'Four Hours'