Barely 48 hours before the Hockey India elections, Pargat Singh today launched a scathing attack on IOA chief Suresh Kalmadi, calling him the "dirty face of Indian sports" who is desperate to maintain control over the game's administration by interfering in the much-awaited polls.
The former India captain, in fray for the President's post in the elections on Wednesday, said Kalmadi is backing an 83-year-old Vidya Stokes for the job as he is only concerned about keeping his control and least bothered about the sport.
"The reason they violated the government's guidelines (on age limitation) is to field an 83-year-old lady (Stokes). Kalmadi just wants a rubber stamp. If they (the present ad-hoc HI office bearers) are elected, it won't be called Hockey India, it will be called Hockey Kalmadi," he said.
"Kalmadi is the dirty face of Indian sports. He is a destroyer. He talks of the Olympic movement but he has destroyed the Olympic institution. Such dirty people should be thrown out of sports," said Pargat.
"The Kalmadi group has a habit of poking its nose in every sports federation. Their modus operandi is to set up a parallel body in every federation and then take the matter to the court. They have a battery of lawyers to fight their case," the former India full-back added.
Pargat also accused Kalmadi of fielding his own personal office staffs in the HI polls.
"A member of Kalmadi's personal staff, Manoj Bhore is a voter from Hockey Maharashtra. So, you can imagine what is going on. He has made a mockery of the system. He just wants to capture hockey," he said.
He also said that the present office-bearers of HI have no right to reject government's assistance as it is the prerogative of the elected house.
"Who are they to tell they don't want government's assistance, it is the house to decide. What is their authenticity? If the government's recognition is not there, how can the Indian team participate in international tournaments?" Pargat asked.
Kalmadi is the Dirty Face of Indian Sports: Pargat
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly