Former CJI Justice J S Verma today said he favours changes in anti-defection law of the country.
"Resignation from membership of the House should be made obligatory for defector, since voters had voted him/her on different grounds. Re-election should be a pre-condition for the defector," Justice Verma told reporters here.
On the right to recall, he said, "Though I am in favour of it, it is not easy since there are several complications. A candidate should be declared elected only if he gets at least 50 per cent votes. Right to reject should be included in the existing election system."
Asked about his views on corruption in judiciary, the former Chief Justice of India said it is not correct to say that corruption is rampant in judiciary.
He, however, hastened to add that there is no denying the fact that corruption exists in few places.
"Judges should be made accountable. A mechanism is needed to check it. I have never accepted political interference in the judicial system," Justice Verma said.
Justice Verma for Changes in Anti-Defection Law
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly