Former Chief Justice of India J S Verma today questioned the continunance of K G Balakrishnan as NHRC Chairman when his predecessor was not appointed to that post because he faced allegations of corruption.
"See the somersault. (Y.K.) Sabharwal was not considered fit for NHRC chairmanship. Now Balakrishnan is holding the post. The nature of allegations against Sabharwal was much the same," Justice Verma said at a seminar on Judicial Conduct and Accountability Bill.
He said both of them were facing identical allegations that their kith and kin made assets during their tenure as CJI and in such cases rule of law has the answer that "if the material on record are sufficient to give rise to suspicion why can an FIR not be filed against them".
Justice Verma said the allegations of corruption against the former CJIs have brought the entire institution under suspicion.
"Unless the few persons, facing allegations, are cleared or are punished, if proved guilty, the entire community would be questioned," he said.
Justice Balakrishnan has been facing criticism over allegations that members of his family have amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was the CJI.
Justice Verma Attacks KG Balakrishnan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine