Former Chief Justice of India J S Verma today questioned the continunance of K G Balakrishnan as NHRC Chairman when his predecessor was not appointed to that post because he faced allegations of corruption.
"See the somersault. (Y.K.) Sabharwal was not considered fit for NHRC chairmanship. Now Balakrishnan is holding the post. The nature of allegations against Sabharwal was much the same," Justice Verma said at a seminar on Judicial Conduct and Accountability Bill.
He said both of them were facing identical allegations that their kith and kin made assets during their tenure as CJI and in such cases rule of law has the answer that "if the material on record are sufficient to give rise to suspicion why can an FIR not be filed against them".
Justice Verma said the allegations of corruption against the former CJIs have brought the entire institution under suspicion.
"Unless the few persons, facing allegations, are cleared or are punished, if proved guilty, the entire community would be questioned," he said.
Justice Balakrishnan has been facing criticism over allegations that members of his family have amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was the CJI.
Justice Verma Attacks KG Balakrishnan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Bihar Elections: Owaisi, Kushwaha Float New Front Of Six Parties
- Rashid Reflects On Scoreboard Pressure