Observing she has a child to look after and is a single parent, a special Court today granted bail to Jigna Vora, held under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) for her alleged complicity in the murder of fellow journalist Jyotirmoy Dey.
Special MCOCA court judge S M Modak ordered Vora's release on a surety of Rs one lakh after observing that she had no criminal antecedents. He also noted that the charge sheet had been filed and her custody was no longer required.
Other grounds for granting bail to Vora were that she was unwell due to asthma.
While granting bail, the judge also cited forensic science laboratory's failure to retrieve details of calls allegedly made by Vora from her mobile phone to underworld don Chhota Rajan, who was claimed to have ordered Dey's killing.
The court asked Vora to report to Crime Branch twice a week and deposit her passport with the investigating agency immediately. She was also warned not to tamper with evidence.
Claiming innocence, Vora had sought liberty on grounds of ill health and that she had to look after her minor child. Vora, deputy chief of bureau of English daily Asian Age, had said she was falsely implicated in the murder of Dey, Editor (Investigations) with city tabloid Mid-Day.
The Forensic Science Laboratory, Kalina, said in its report to the court on July 23 that data from six hand sets recovered from Vora could not be fetched as it did not have the necessary tools.
Police had said that Vora texted SMSes to her friends, acquaintances and also to the slain journalist during the course of her duty and those might throw light on the murder.
Vora was arrested on November 25 last year under stringent anti-crime law MCOCA.
According to police, the murder was plotted and executed allegedly at the behest of Chhota Rajan whom Vora had instigated owing to professional rivalry with Dey.
Soon after she was granted bail, an emotional Vora emerged out of the court with tears in her eyes and hugged her family members.
Journalist Jigna Vora Gets Bail in J. Dey Murder Case
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly