Just days after he was awarded the Jnanpith award, noted litterateur Shrilal Shukla today died at a hospital here following prolonged illness. He was 86.
Author of Raag Darbari, Shukla was presented the country's highest literary honour on his hospital bed by Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi on October 18.
Joshi and Chief Minister Mayawati have expressed profound grief over his demise. In separate condolence messages, they said that Shukla's death has created a void in the world of Hindi literature and was an irreparable loss to Hindi lovers.
On Twitter, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj also expressed grief saying, "Sorry to know about the sad demise of Shrilal Shukla ji - the great Hindi writer. His book Raag Darbari is much more relevant today."
"His departure is an irreparable loss to Hindi literature," she added.
Shukla had penned Agyatwaas, Vishrampur Ka Sant and many other novels. His works throw light on the falling moral values of society in post-independence era.
Shukla and another Hindi author Amar Kant were chosen on September 19 for the Jnanpith award for the year 2009. He is also a recipient of Vyas Samman and Padma Bhushan.
CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat condoled the death of Shukla.
"In his death, the literary world has lost a major figure. His contribution to Hindi literature is significant and will always be remembered," he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also condoled the death of Shukla.
The Jnanpith award awardee had penned many popular novels such as Agyatwaas, Vishrampur Ka Sant and Raag Darbari.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and Governor B L Joshi too expressed grief over his demise.
Jnanpith Awardee Shrilal Shukla Dead
PTI Photo/Nand Kumar
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi Police Release Photos Of Two Suspected Terrorists In City
- First Death Sentence Awarded In 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case; Life Term To Another
- Chilli Powder Thrown At CM Arvind Kejriwal Inside Delhi Secretariat
- At Least 55 Killed In Kabul Suicide Bombing
- Electoral Politics In India Will Never Be The Same Without Sushma Swaraj Contesting | Vani Tripathi
- Should Rahul Gandhi Say He Is Not A PM Candidate?
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Sexual Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- WATCH: BJP MLA Greeted With Garland Of Shoes In Poll-Bound Madhya Pradesh
- Chhattisgarh Assembly Elections: Over 60 Per Cent Voter Turn Out
- Twitter India Says Sorry After CEO Jack Dorsey Holds Poster Reading ‘Smash Brahminical Patriarchy’
- Viral Video: New Zealand Players Celebrate Thrilling Four-Run Win Over Pakistan With Bhangra Dance
- Political, Monetary Gains Were Dual Motives In Sohrabuddin's Killing: Investigating Officer To Court
- Sushma Swaraj Says Won’t Contest 2019 Lok Sabha Elections
- 1st T20I Preview: India Favourites Against Embattled Australia
- Tiger Mahavir Died Of Multiple Organ Failure, Says Post-Mortem Report