Just days after he was awarded the Jnanpith award, noted litterateur Shrilal Shukla today died at a hospital here following prolonged illness. He was 86.
Author of Raag Darbari, Shukla was presented the country's highest literary honour on his hospital bed by Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi on October 18.
Joshi and Chief Minister Mayawati have expressed profound grief over his demise. In separate condolence messages, they said that Shukla's death has created a void in the world of Hindi literature and was an irreparable loss to Hindi lovers.
On Twitter, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj also expressed grief saying, "Sorry to know about the sad demise of Shrilal Shukla ji - the great Hindi writer. His book Raag Darbari is much more relevant today."
"His departure is an irreparable loss to Hindi literature," she added.
Shukla had penned Agyatwaas, Vishrampur Ka Sant and many other novels. His works throw light on the falling moral values of society in post-independence era.
Shukla and another Hindi author Amar Kant were chosen on September 19 for the Jnanpith award for the year 2009. He is also a recipient of Vyas Samman and Padma Bhushan.
CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat condoled the death of Shukla.
"In his death, the literary world has lost a major figure. His contribution to Hindi literature is significant and will always be remembered," he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also condoled the death of Shukla.
The Jnanpith award awardee had penned many popular novels such as Agyatwaas, Vishrampur Ka Sant and Raag Darbari.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and Governor B L Joshi too expressed grief over his demise.
Jnanpith Awardee Shrilal Shukla Dead
PTI Photo/Nand Kumar
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Nine Including 17-Year-Old Arrested In Maharashtra For Alleged ISIS Link
- Supreme Court Grants Bail To Four Convicts In 2002 Naroda Patiya Case
- Woman Who Entered Sabarimala Temple Thrown Out By Family, Forced To Stay At Shelter Home
- PM Modi Brought Down Country's Discourse To 'Gutter Level': Congress
- Made Tea, Food; Cleaned Utensils At RSS Office: PM Modi
- Liberal Beats Of Mumbai Dance Bars: Social Progress, Morality And Women
- Only Thing That Can Ground Naveen Patnaik This Time Is ‘Problem Of Plenty’
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- Delhi Police Issues Traffic Advisory Ahead Of Republic Day Parade Rehearsal
- WATCH: Pakistan Captain Sarfraz Ahmed Calls South African Bowler 'Kaale'
- PM Modi Inaugurates Bose Museum At Red Fort
- The Mahagathbandhan Of Cinema And Electoral Politics
- Gujarat Government Asks Schools To Ban Students From Playing PUBG
- NZ Vs IND, 1st ODI: Play Stopped At Napier Due To 'Setting Sun'
- Emiliano Sala missing plane: Search suspended amid slim survival chances of Cardiff striker
- Congress Demands EC To Address EVM Issue 'Very Seriously'