The ruling BJP candidate S S Ahluwalia’s loss in the Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls pointed that the party was heading an 'uneasy' coalition government in the state, AICC member P N Singh claimed today.
"Two independent MLAs, Chamra Linda and Bidesh Singh, who support the BJP-led government have voted for our candidate," said Singh soon after the results were announced for the two RS seats.
He also said "another ruling ally opted to vote for the JMM candidate. It is quite evident that the BJP is heading an uneasy coalition in the state."
He described Congress candidate Pradeep Balmuchu's win as a morale booster for the party.
AICC spokesman Mohan Prakash told PTI over phone "It is a good beginning for Congress in Jharkhand, and we thank all those who voted for our candidate."
A senior BJP party leader, who requested not to be quoted when asked whether the party would have been saved from embarrassment had it accepted JMM’s request to withdraw Ahluwalia from the race, said "What should I say when everything is in the open? We expected these two votes for Ahluwalia."
Meanwhile, the RJD claimed that the Congress candidate won because of the initiative by its supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav.
"Lalu Prasadji took the initiative by talking to independents MLAs, including Chamra Linda, Bidesh Singh (who support the BJP-led government), Bandhu Tirkey and others to vote for Congress candidate," RJD’s legislature party leader Annapurna Devi told PTI here.
"The Congress should coordinate with all secular forces to corner the BJP," she added.
The Ajsu Party, which voted for the winning JMM candidate, however, trashed the Congress’s claim that the BJP was heading an 'uneasy' alliance in the state.
"It is not at all uneasy. There is no danger to the government as Rajya Sabha elections don’t have much impact on coalition politics," Ajsu’s Vice-President Praveen Prabhakar said.
BJP’s state unit president Dineshanand Goswami told reporters "We tried to get support from coalition partners. But we were unsuccessful and the result is a disappointment for the party.
"The BJP-led government will complete its full term," he asserted.
J'khand RS Poll Shows BJP's 'Uneasy' Govt: Cong
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Communal Corona? Is It Justified To Blame Tablighi Jamaat For Nizamuddin Outbreak?
- Chemists Claim Shortage of Essential Medicines Due To Hoarding & Panic Buying
- Coronavirus: With 146 New Infections, Cases In India Climb to 1,397; Death Toll Reaches 35
- Is Coronavirus Sexually Transmitted And Other Questions People Want To Ask
- Tendulkar's 'Coronavirus' Diary: Unplugged Music, TV Serials And Lot Of Sleep
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- FIR Filed Against Tablighi Jamaat Maulana
- India Needs Aggressive Measures To Protect Marginalised In These Times
- Recession To Hit World Economy With Likely Exception Of India, China: UN
- Spain Sees Record Death Toll With 849 Fatalities In 24 Hours: Govt
- Another Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh, Cops Ask People To Stay Indoors
- Hit Void: Who Would Like To Wipe A Year In Sport From The Records?
- From Akshay-Salman To Janhvi-Sara Ali Khan, Corona Will Spare None
- With $2.7B Reserves, FIFA Has 'Duty' To Aid Football