The Jammu and Kashmir High Court today disposed off a PIL seeking action against writer Arundhati Roy for her reported remarks advocating right of self-determination for the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
The double bench headed by Chief Justice F M Ibrahim Khalif Ulla also directed the petitioners to approach police for criminal complaint.
"The court disposed off the petition thereby reserving our right to approach police (for criminal complaint) and in case police declines to intervene they may have right to approach criminal court," Rohit Kapoor, who pleaded the case on the behalf of the petitioners, told reporters.
The PIL was filed by Veer Saraf, Ajay Bhat and Vijay Kashkari, all members of the Routes, an organisation of Kashmiri Pandits based in Jammu and Delhi.
At a panel discussion on Kashmir at the Asia Society in New York earlier this month, Roy had said that revoking the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act from Jammu and Kashmir and demilitarisation are needed to ensure the right of self- determination to the people of the state and a country cannot call itself a democracy if people are forced to live under military rule.
"I want to say unambiguously that I do not think any country that calls itself a democracy has the right to force people to remain in it in a militaristic way, the way that India is doing in order to prove that it's a secular country," she had said.
J&K HC Disposes Off PIL Against Arundhati
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP Stalwart Arun Jaitley To Be Cremated At Nigambodh Ghat Today, Leaders Pay Last Respects
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- 1st Test, Day 3: Rahane Takes IND To Commanding Position Over WI
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Cup Final: Vicuna Blames Refereeing For MB's Loss To GKFC
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face