BJP today suspended Jammu and Kashmir legislature party leader Chaman Lal Gupta from the primary membership of the party for six years with immediate effect for leading six other MLAs in cross-voting in the recent Legislative Council elections.
The decision was taken by the BJP Parliamentary Board at its meeting here after Gupta issued a show-cause notice to four BJP MLAs who had voted for the party candidate.
Gupta, a former Union minister, and six others had voted against the BJP in elections top the Upper House leading to their suspension.
"The Parliamentary Board noted with concern the continued anti-party activity of Gupta. Though he has already been suspended from the party on the charge of anti-party activity, yet he has issued showcause notice to four BJP MLAs," Secretary of BJP Parliamentary Board Ananth Kumar said in a statement.
"This, the Parliamentary Board treats as a further case of gross indiscipline and resolves to expel Gupta from the primary membership of the BJP for a period of six years with immediate effect," Kumar said.
Party sources maintain that Gupta and the six other MLAs had defected due to monetary considerations.
While this decision has been conveyed to Gupta, the party is in the process of communicating it to the Speaker and BJP state unit chief.
J&K Cross-Voting: Senior BJP Leader Suspended
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History