Describing the over Rs 2,000 crore business proposal between Jet and Etihad airlines as a win-win deal, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh today said it will be beneficial for flyers.
In the first Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) deal after India opened up the aviation sector, Jet Airways will sell a 24 per cent stake to Etihad Airways in a USD 379 million
(Rs 2,058 crore) deal.
"It is a win-win deal, good for the flyers. It provides more competition and more connectivity and better efficiency," Singh told reporters outside Parliament.
Asked whether the deal will escalate the fare war and competition in the market, the Civil Aviation Minister said, "Competition is always good for any industry."
About the possible impact on the national carrier, he said, "Air India has very limited operations today. If you do not allow other airlines to come wherever they want how will the passengers fly. Air India should look after themselves and gear up."
Jet-Etihad Pact a Win-Win Deal: Ajit Singh
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 15 Die As Heavy Rains Lash Hyderabad, Telangana; People Asked To Stay Indoors
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- COVID-19, Farmer Protests, Hathras: BJP Misses Arun Jaitley To Fix Its Image Problem
- The Silence Of The Dalit Politician
- DC Vs RR: Stokes In Focus As Royals Seek Revenge
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Old Law Machine Seeks A New Engine
- Apple Launches New iPhone 12 Series, To Be Shipped Without Adapters
- Spin Great Muttiah Muralitharan’s Biopic ‘800’ Sparks Controversy
- Scientists Reveal Threat Of Swine Coronavirus From Animals To Human
- Tanishq Store Puts Up Apology Note Over Withdrawn 'Communal Ad'
- 'Goli Maaro Saalo Ko' Chanted In Protests Against Farooq Abdullah
- Why Ex-Test Opener Anshuman Gaikwad Is Taunting Ganguly, Jay Shah
- 'When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel'