The process of Etihad picking up 24 per cent equity in Jet Airways moved a step forward with top executives of both airlines meeting Commerce and Civil Aviation Ministers here today, as sources said the two carriers are likely to clinch the deal soon and apply for FIPB clearance.
Speculation was rife about the deal being firmed up in the next week to ten days, with sources saying the two airlines would thereafter put up an application on Jet's stake sale to the Abu Dhabi-based carrier for approval of the Foreign Investment Promotion Board
(FIPB) of the Finance Ministry.
A meeting of the Jet Airways' Board is slated in Mumbai tomorrow.
The Etihad delegation, led by its CEO James Hogan, and Jet Airways promoter Naresh Goyal met Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh and Commerce Minister Anand Sharma. Neither Hogan, nor Goyal spoke about the meetings.
Etihad is likely to buy 24 per cent equity in Jet Airways valued at about Rs 1,800
crore. If the deal is carried through, it would be the first investment by a foreign carrier in an Indian airline.
Besides expanding the equity base of the premier Indian carrier, a major reason for Goyal to dilute part of his shareholding in Jet from 80 per cent has been the FIPB order to bring it down to regulatory levels.
Jet Airways has an equity base of 8.63 crore shares, valued at Rs 5,370
crore. The shares closed at Rs 622.10, up 4.34 per cent, on the BSE.
At the end of the December quarter, M/S Tailwinds, Jet's promoter company owned by Goyal himself and incorporated in the Isle of Man, had 79.99 per cent stake, while Goyal had personal stake of 0.01 per cent.
Jet-Etihad Airways Deal Moves Forward
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: KL, Agarwal At It Again; Punjab 31/0 (4)
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Rape: 'Scenario Created To Blame Govt', Says Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- 25-Year-Old Gang-Raped, Thrashed In Gurugram, 4 Arrested
- What A Catch: Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty - WATCH
- CM Kejriwal Set To Launch Mega Anti-Air Pollution Campaign
- Nirbhaya's Mother's Exclusive Take On Hathras Rape Case
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris