Battered New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder was showing signs of improvement today and gave family the thumbs-up as police charged two men with assaulting the gifted batsman in a savage beating.
Ryder was attacked by a group of men as he left a bar in the South Island city of Christchurch early Thursday, and was rushed to hospital in a critical condition where he was placed in an induced coma.
His manager Aaron Klee said Ryder was responsive Friday and had given the thumbs-up to medical staff and members of his family who rushed to be at his bedside.
Ryder remains in an intensive care unit in a stable condition and requires help with breathing because of an injury to his lung while the extent of his head injury has yet to be determined.
His mother Heather and his partner Ally thanked people around the world for sending messages of sympathy and police for arresting "people responsible for the heinous crime committed on our Jesse".
"Jesse will be chuffed knowing how many people care and have reached out, including the huge number of cricket fans and players from around the world," they said in a statement.
"We have read many of the messages online over the past 24 hours and we are keeping them for Jesse to read when he recovers."
Police said they had charged a 20-year-old man and a 37-year-old relative of his with the assault and they would appear in court next Thursday.
"Two or three" people attacked Ryder as he left a bar and then resumed the assault when the injured player made his way to the car park of a fast-food outlet across the road, police said.
Although Ryder has a history of alcohol-related incidents and had been drinking before he was attacked, police said alcohol was not a factor in this instance.
Jesse Ryder Assault Case: 2 Held As Cricketer Recovers
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- It’s Been A Very Interesting Journey: Donald Trump on Covid-19
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal, BJP Demands CBI Inquiry
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Of India Condemns UP Govt
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat