Influential Muslim outfit Jamaat-e-Islami Hind is all set to test waters in politics by launching a party, an official announcement on which is expected on Monday.
"We are forming a political outfit namely Welfare Party. Though Jamaat is launching the party, the outfit will be an independent body," the Jamaat's convenor S Q R Ilyas said.
A formal announcement in this regard is expected on Monday when the Jamaat is holding a conference.
"During the Monday conference, we will discuss on politics and the announcement could be made on that day," Ilyas told PTI.
He said people need a new political option as corruption in this field is rampant and so "we decided to form a party, which will be devoid of corrupt leaders."
He asserted the party will not only represent Muslims but also other minorities and weaker sections of the society. "We will also raise issues of national interest and inclusive development."
On reports that some senior members of Jamaat are apprehensive of the launch of a political party, Ilyas maintained no one has any problem with it and the decision was unanimous.
An offshoot of the Jamaat-e-Islami, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind was formed in April 1948.
Jamaat-e-Islami Hind All Set to Launch Political Party
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise to 616; Maharashtra Remains Most Affected
- Naming Covid-19 After China Could Damage The Global Battle Against Coronavirus
- The Real Soldiers Fighting Cornoavirus Can't Even Get To Hospitals With Dignity
- 'Coronavirus Is Sneaky But India Has Done Better Than Others': Leading Public Health Expert
- Outlook Goes Digital, Temporarily Suspends Print Edition
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'People In White Coats Are Gods Right Now': PM Warns Against Discrimination
- OLY Postponement Was Phogat's 'Worst Fear'
- Britain's Prince Charles Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- 'It Flew Past Like Breeze': Living Two Months Under Coronavirus Lockdown In China
- Evicted By Landlord, Qatar Returnee Man Has No Place For Quarantine
- Coronavirus: E-learning In Schools Is The Only Way. But Is India Prepared?
- Journalist At Kamal Nath's Resignation Presser Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- 'Game Zero' Linked To UCL Match: Did COVID-19 Explode On Feb 19 In Europe?