One Indian is missing in a luxury cruiser drowning incident off the Tuscan coast in Italy while 201 crew members from the country have been rescued, officials said here today.
As efforts were on to trace the missing Indian, the Indian government set up control rooms both in New Delhi as well as here to facilitate information about the rescue.
Indian embassy officials here said while one Indian named Robello Russel Terence, who was a waitor on the ill-fated Costa Concordia, was yet to be traced and efforts were on to verify other details about him, no casualty among the Indians has been reported so far.
The incident, which happened on Saturday, left six persons dead. The ship hit a reef or rock near the Tuscan island of Giglio, before it went down.
Spokesman of the Indian embassy here, Visvesh Negi, told PTI that "there were a total of 203 Indians on the ship - one passenger and 202 crew members".
In Delhi, the Ministry of External Affairs said it has set up control rooms to deal with enquiries about the Indians on board the ship.
"Out of the 202 crew members, 201 have been traced and are safe. One person is missing. We are co-ordinating with the Italian Government and trying to trace the missing crew," Negi said.
Indian Ambassador to Italy, Debabatra Saha, along with two Indian officials, visited the accident spot and is coordinating the rescue operation.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna today said one Indian crew member
on board Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia that tipped over off the
Tuscan coast in Italy on Friday night is missing and efforts are on to
"All of them have been rescued... Only one Indian crew
member Rebello Russell Terrance is missing and has not been traced
yet," he told reporters here.
He said India is making efforts to
trace Rebello and in touch with his brother Kevin who has reached Italy.
"We have directed our Ambassador to Italy to visit the spot of the
tragedy ... He is on his way there," he said.
The Ambassador has
already deputed two officials to assist Italian authorities to trace
Terrance, Krishna said. "We will share further information as and when
we get it," he said.
Krishna, however, said there was no
information on whether more Indian crew members or passengers were on
board Costa Concordia, which was carrying more than 4,200 people when it
hit a reef or rock near the Tuscan island of Giglio.
While as many as 60 persons were injured in the incident, 15 persons, including crew and passengers were still unaccounted for.
The owner of the luxury liner Costa Crociere indicted the captain of the ship, saying he had made "errors of judgement", while conceding that the management of the emergency had not followed company procedures.
Captain Francesco Schettino and first officer Ciro Ambrosio was arrested on Saturday.
Prosecutors said Schettino had left the liner "well before" the last passengers were evacuated.
Italian Ship Wreck: '201 Indians Rescued, One Missing'
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Govt Panel Suggests 12-16 Week Gap For Covishield, Covid Recovered Should Wait 6 Months
- What Makes Some Vaccinated People More Susceptible To Covid-19 Than Others? Experts Answer
- Can A Person Get Re-Infected After Recovering From Covid?
- Maharashtra Extends Covid Restrictions Till June 1; Check Guidelines
- BJP's Political Messaging To No Avail: No Fresh Vegetables For Ladakh-Kargil For 4 Months
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Covaxin Receives Nod For Trials On Children Between 2-18 Age Group
- Delhi's Oxygen Requirement Down To 582 MT: Manish Sisodia
- PM Modi Missing Along With Vaccines, Oxygen, Medicines: Rahul Gandhi
- Western Media Coverage Of Covid Crisis Raises Hackles Of Modi Govt
- Independent Music Doing Well As Labels Are Promoting It: Sonu Nigam
- Know Why Using Right Glassware Is Important While Mixing Your Drink
- India Very Good At 'Niggling': Paine
- Atleti Edge Closer To La Liga Title