Widening its probe, the Income Tax Department, which is looking into the source of money used in a garland presented to Chief Minister Mayawati, will also investigate funds and donations received by Bahujan Samaj Party in the last few months.
Sources said the probe into the funds would provide them with necessary information on the income of the party which like other political parties, is exempted from paying taxes under section 13A of the Income Tax Act.
Political parties file their I-T returns by September every year, the sources said, adding the department will check if the donations and other modes of funding are recorded in the account books maintained by the party.
The probe has been launched in both incidents where Mayawati was presented garlands made of notes, they said.
If the donations are unaccounted that makes a fit case of tax evasion, they said.
The previously audited account records of the party will also be checked.
According to sources, the tax department has also sourced the video grabs and photographs of the garland that was presented to Mayawati on March 16 at a BSP rally in Lucknow to celebrate the party's anniversary.
IT Department to Also Probe Funds Received by BSP
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 'Stay Wherever You Are,' Kejriwal Appeals To Migrants; Spain Toll Rises By 838
- Nawanshahr, The 'NRI Belt' Of Punjab, Has Seen Half Of State's Total Coronavirus Cases
- Corona Warriors: 'PM Modi Ignored Us,' Say Pharmacists As Gadkari Opens Old Wound
- 'Solidarity, But Impact Of Lockdown Will Amplify Covid-19 Death Toll': Rahul To PM Modi
- Coronavirus: Seal Borders To Stop Exodus Of Migrants, Centre Tells States
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Flights Grounded, Here's What Happens To Your Air Ticket
- Coronavirus: With 6 Death In 24 Hrs, India Death Toll Reaches 25; Cases Rise To 979
- 55-yr-old Man From Kashmir Dies Due To COVID-19; UT Has 33 Cases
- Coronavirus Natural, Not Engineered, Says NY-based Genomics Expert
- Live Abroad, But Want To Help The Poor During Lockdown? Here’s How
- Hockey Coach Reid Says Quarantine Has Been A Blessing in Disguise
- Sehwag Could Bring Any Attack To Its Knees: Wright
- Tokyo Olympics Organisers Consider July 2021 For Opening Ceremony