A Delhi court today extended the judicial custody of journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi, arrested for his alleged role in a terror attack on an Isreali diplomat, by three days.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Jain extended Kazmi's custody till July 6, rejecting the Delhi Police plea to extend the same by a fortnight.
Kazmi's custody was extended amid high drama spanning over four hours during which he found himself getting shunted from one court to another due to confusion as to which court is empowered to extend his judicial custody.
The jailed journalist was finally produced before ASJ Jain who extended his custody. He also pulled up the police as they produced the case diary which did not have the signatures of the judges before whom Kazmi was produced since February 13.
When Kazmi was brought to the Tis Hazari court, he was first produced before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav who refused to deal with the matter.
The CMM was informed about the Delhi High Court order of July 2 by which Justice Manmohan has stayed the June 8 order of the sessions court questioning the magisterial court's power to extend the judicial or police custody of an accused under anti-terror law, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The CMM, however, refused to take up the case saying that "the plain interpretation of the high court's order is that no stay has been granted upon the observation made by the sessions judge in his June 8 order" and that only the proceedings before him has been stayed.
The CMM sent the case to the district judge in the light of the sessions court ruling dated June 8, questioning the magisterial court's power to extend the judicial or police custody of an accused under anti-terror law, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The district judge heard the brief arguments before transferring the matter to ASJ Pawan Jain.
Israeli Diplomat Attack: Kazmi's Custody Extended
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Let Us All Be Part Of Janata Curfew': PM Modi Urges People To Fight Coronavirus Outbreak
- Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises By 793 In Biggest Single-Day Jump
- 'Don't Panic,' Sonia Gandhi Tells People, Suggests PM Annouce Sector-Wise Relief Package
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 283; Amid Fear, Country To Observe 'Janata Curfew' Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Baroda Women's Cricket Coach Suspended For Alleged Harassment
- Coronavirus Grows, As Do Questions: Will The Tokyo Olympics Open?