Israel poisoned the late Yasser Arafat with the lethal radioactive substance polonium, a nephew of the veteran Palestinian leader alleged today.
"We accuse Israel of killing Yasser Arafat by poisoning him with that lethal substance," Nasser
al-Qidwa told AFP, referring to polonium, traces of which were recently found on clothing worn by the ailing leader.
"Those responsible for that assassination should be held accountable and judged," said
Qidwa, who is also president of the Yasser Arafat Foundation.
Allegations that the veteran Palestinian leader, who died in a French hospital in November 2004, was poisoned were resurrected earlier this month after
Al-Jazeera news channel broadcast an investigation in which experts said they had found high levels of polonium on his personal effects.
Polonium is a highly-toxic substance which was used to kill former Russian spy turned Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko in 2006. He died after drinking a cup of tea laced with the substance at a London hotel.
Francois Bochud, head of the Institute of Radiation Physics at the University of Lausanne which conducted the tests, told
Al-Jazeera that "significant polonium" had been found on Arafat's effects, but that his remains would need to be tested to confirm the theory that he had been poisoned.
Senior Palestinian officials have said they would agree to an exhumation of the body, which is buried in
Ramallah, if the family gave its permission, and Qidwa today said they would raise no objections.
"The Arafat Foundation contacted the Swiss laboratory and informed them that it had no objection to analysing samples from the body of the late Palestinian president Yasser Arafat if it is necessary," he said.
At the time of his death, Palestinian officials charged that Arafat, 75, had been poisoned by Israel, but an inconclusive investigation a year later ruled out cancer, AIDS or poisoning.
Israel Poisoned Yasser Arafat, Says Nephew
THE LATEST ISSUE
- The Nitty Gritties Of Investigating Hathras Rape
- MI Vs RR: Suryakumar, Bumrah Set Up Massive Win
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- Covid-19 Virus Can Infect People More Than Six Feet Away: CDC
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Innocent Or Framed? Who’s The Real Rhea Chakraborty?
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four In Alwar Gangrape Case
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Atal Tunnel Opens Avenues Of Innovation In Tourism
- French Open: Thiem Stunned In 5-hour Epic As Schwartzman Enters Semis
- Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana
- How Is De-Globalization An Opportunity For India?
- No Need To Panic: Steve Smith