All "irregularities" in run up to hosting the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will be examined and the guilty will not be spared, Government assured the Lok Sabha today.
"...All irregularities will be examined and the guilty will not be spared," Sports Minister M S Gill said in the Lok Sabha while making a suo motu statement on the mega sporting event.
Against the backdrop of allegations of irregularities in preparations for the sports event, Gill said recommendations of Shunglu Committee, the CAG and CVC -- probing the irregularities -- would be taken on board before agreeing to host similar international sporting events in the country.
Gill admitted that close to the date of commencement of the Games, there were "instances of difficulties" including readiness of the Games Village and the accidental collapse of the foot overbridge near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
At the same time, the Sports Minister said, the Games have left behind a "lasting legacy" for sports, strengthened the sporting culture in the nation and "given us hope and inspiration for greater successes in the future."
Patting his back, Gill said India performed well in the event and won 101 medals.
"The achievements have been made possible through the scheme preparation for Indian team for Commonwealth Games, 2010," he said adding that in approving the scheme in June, 2008, the government had the "foresight" to recognise the importance of specialised training.
He said under the scheme, 1200 sportspersons were trained for 305 days in a year with 75 days of training and exposure to international competitions abroad and high quality coaching with scientific and medical backup in various disciplines.
'Irregularities' in Hosting CWG to Be Examined: M.S. Gill
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh