Ireland's health watchdog will begin a probe into the death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar who died after being refused an abortion, two days after the government said it will legalise abortions when the mother's life is at risk.
Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA), a government-funded healthcare agency in Ireland will complete and publish its investigation into the death of 31-year-old Savita as soon as possible, spokesman of the agency announced yesterday.
The authority had begun its preparatory work for the investigation this week, as soon as the members of the investigating team had been approved, he said.
A consultant midwife, consultant obstetrician and two microbiologists will be among those on the eleven-person team, one further person is to be appointed and details of this will be published shortly, he said.
According to a report in The Irish Times, the investigating team has been charged to look into the safety of HSE services to patients, including pregnant women, "at risk of deterioration and as reflected in the care and treatment provided to Savita Halappanavar".
The authority has said it will publish the findings of its inquiry.
Savita died at Galway University Hospital on October 28th, having presented on October 21st with severe back pain. She was 17-weeks pregnant and was found to be miscarrying.
Her husband Praveen said she asked repeatedly for a termination of the pregnancy but was refused and was told the foetal heartbeat was still present and "this is a Catholic country".
Ireland's Health Watchdog to Investigate Savita's Death
H S Rao/London
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- ‘I Hope And Wish And Pray Bihar Doesn’t Throw Up A Khichdi Sarkar’
- MI Vs KXIP: Gayle Bosses Over Mumbai In Super Super Over Win
- People Were Unhappy When BJP Could Not Return To Power: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Will It Be Nitish Kumar For The Fourth Time? Or Are There Cracks In His Citadel?
- Deity, Donations And Divine Intervention
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Crazy Sunday Witnesses Double Super Over - Explainer, Videos, Reactions
- SRH Vs KKR: Ferguson Sets Up Super Over Win For Kolkata
- Unplugged: 4 Ghost Stories, And The Crows
- Pollution May Increase Virus Transmissibility: Experts
- Whiskey Or Whisky – What's The Difference?
- Tourists Skip Shimla Hotels For Rural Homestays
- Cowherd's Son In Tamil Nadu Clears NEET, Seeks Financial Help To Study
- Time To Liberate Aksai Chin, Gilgit Baltistan, Says Kashmir BJP Chief