Iran today closed a summit of non-aligned states after two days of sometimes conflictual speeches over Syria and stepped-up pressure over its nuclear programme that overshadowed the proceedings.
Representatives from the 120 members of the Non-Aligned Movement adopted a document that condemned unilateral sanctions, backed the right of Iran and other states to peaceful nuclear energy, and supported the creation of a Palestinian state, Iranian media reported.
The document also reportedly advocated nuclear disarmament, human rights free from political agendas and opposition to racism and "Islamophobia". The text was not available late today on the foreign ministry website dedicated to the summit.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad chaired the closing ceremony, reflecting his country's presidency of the NAM for the next three years, after which it will pass to Venezuela.
With around 30 heads of state or government attending, and senior officials filling out the other two-thirds of the heavily secured hall, Iran portrayed the summit as a triumph over Western attempts to isolate it over its disputed nuclear activities.
Ahmadinejad said the summit was "unique in quality and in the number of participants."
But the nuclear issue came back to take a bite out of that goal, with the UN atomic watchdog releasing a report half way through the summit accusing Iran of having "significantly hampered" inspectors' efforts to investigate a suspect military site, Parchin.
The report also said Iran had in the past three months installed more than 1,000 uranium enrichment centrifuges in its fortified Fordo nuclear bunker that is one of the prime concerns of the United States and fellow permanent UN Security Council members.
Iran, Pressed on Nuclear Activities, Wraps Up Summit
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly