The high-profile election of the Indian Olympic Association will now be held on December 5, ten days after its earlier scheduled date of November 25 following the resignation of Election Commission Chairman S Y Quraishi.
The elections had to be postponed in the wake of dramatic resignation of Quraishi, a former Chief Election Commissioner, citing IOA's backtracking from its earlier commitment to hold the polls under the Government's Sports Code.
The remaining two members of the Commission, Returning Officer Justice V K Bali (Retd) and Justice J D Kapoor (Retd) then postponed the scrutiny of the nomination till appointment of the new chairman of the Commission.
IOA then re-constituted the three-member Election Commission and appointed Justice Anil Dev Singh, Retired Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court, as its Chairman.
After the meeting of the re-constituted Commission attended by all the members, Justice Bali announced the rescheduled date of the elections.
According to the re-schedule of the elections released by Justice Bali, list of nomination received have been displayed at his office. The scrutiny of nominations will be held on November 24 while withdrawal of nominations will be from November 25 to 29. The elections will be held on December 5 from 1400 hrs onwards.
IOA Secretary General Randhir Singh is contesting the election against Abhay Singh Chautala for the president's post while tainted sports administrator Lalit Bhanot is contesting the post of Secretary General against Volleyball Federation of India Secretary General K Murugan and Judo Federation of India General Secretary Mukesh Kumar.
The election has witnessed a bitter war of words between the rival factions who have accused each other of trying to stall the election process to garner the required numbers.
The upcoming election is also mired in controversy with the IOC insisting it should be held under the Olympic Charter while the Election Commission has notified that it should be held under the Government's Sports Code following the Delhi High Court order.
IOA Election to Be Held on Dec 5
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Tougher Traffic Regulations, Stricter Penalties For Violations As Motor Vehicles Bill Passes RS Test
- Unnao Rape Survivor Accident: CBI Books UP Minister's Son-In-Law, Kuldeep Sengar For Murder
- Watch: UP Schoolgirl Stumps Cops With Questions About Unnao Rape Survivor Accident
- 'Indian Spy' Arrested, Claims Pakistan Police
- Blog | Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- For All Practical Purposes, BJD Is Now A Part Of NDA
- After India's Chandrayaan-2, Time To See What Other Countries Are Planning On Space Front
- If Chandrayaan-2 Is Successful, India Will Grab Headlines Globally -- For A Positive Reason
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- CJI To Take Up Unnao Rape Survivor's Letter On 'Threats' Today, Says It Didn't Reach Him
- 'Hurt, But What Can I Do?' Says Zomato Delivery Boy Over Customer's Bigotry
- Ganguly Shoots Straight, Reminds What Rights Kohli Has In Coach Selection
- Al-Qaeda Heir Hamza Bin Laden Killed: Reports
- ENG Vs AUS, Ashes 2019, 1st Test Preview
- Demonetisation, GST Rollout Perfect Examples Of Modi Govt's Lack Of Depth, Ineptitude: Rahul Gandhi
- ‘Are We Delivering Pizzas?’ Derek O'Brien On Hurried Passage Of Bills
- 2,500 Rare, Stolen Books Recovered From SP Leader Azam Khan's University