With Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswami recommending the removal of his colleague Navin Chawla, CPI(M) today said the integrity of the Election Commission should be maintained for upholding the country's democracy.
In the backdrop of the controversy, CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat suggested that the country also needed a few more members in the Election Commission. The left party had already made recommendations regarding reforms to be undertaken in the appointment of election commissioners and conduct of the polls.
Those who served as election commissioner should not take any government posts, or contest in elections after their retirement, he said.
Karat also pointed out that reforms need to be undertaken to prevent any such controversy as election commissioners had so far been appointed either by the BJP-led NDA or the Congress-led UPA.
The party was against sacking of Navin Chawla, and it had criticised the move, he said.
On the coming Lok Sabha elections, he said the secular parties should join hands to form a third front to defeat the Congress and BJP led coalitions.
On the possible seat-sharing, Karat said he would discuss with CPI-M's local wing and allies. "We have identified some seats in Tamil Nadu and will divulge the details at the appropriate time," he added.
To a query, he said that the government must invest more on job creation as lakhs of people were losing jobs because of the recession. The Banks had not done anything for the common people, he charged.
Integrity of EC Must for Upholding Democracy: CPI(M)
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine