Rattled by allegations of irregularities in allocation of land for a resort, West Bengal government today shelved the ambitious IT township project where top companies including Infosys and Wipro were supposed to set up their units.
"The government does not want to be involved in any illegal activity. As such the IT department cannot proceed with the project," an IT Department press release said.
"Under the circumstances at this moment, we are unable to stick to our assurances of providing land to Infosys and Wipro and were constrained to inform them about the government's inability," it said.
The government had assured 90 acres each to Infosys and Wipro in the project and signed MoUs with the two companies last year.
The proposed Information Technology (IT) township, to come up around luxury resort Vedic Village, had come under a cloud due to investigations into allegations of a link between local land mafia and management of the resort, which came under scanner following an attack by a mob on Aug 23.
The government said that departments like Housing, Land and Land Reforms, Urban Development and PWD were in favour of scrapping the project.
"It is impossible for the IT department to proceed with the project if any of these departments refused to facilitate," it said.
After the Singur and Nandigram fiasco, the Vedic Village issue snowballed into a major crisis for Buddhadeb Bhattacherjee government with even ruling Left constituents openly questioning the land deal. Land Reforms Minister Abdur Rezzak Mollah demanded scrapping of the IT project.
Infosys, Wipro Turned Away from Bengal
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Communal Corona? Is It Justified To Blame Tablighi Jamaat For Nizamuddin Outbreak?
- Chemists Claim Shortage of Essential Medicines Due To Hoarding & Panic Buying
- Coronavirus: With 146 New Infections, Cases In India Climb to 1,397; Death Toll Reaches 35
- Is Coronavirus Sexually Transmitted And Other Questions People Want To Ask
- Tendulkar's 'Coronavirus' Diary: Unplugged Music, TV Serials And Lot Of Sleep
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- FIR Filed Against Tablighi Jamaat Maulana
- India Needs Aggressive Measures To Protect Marginalised In These Times
- Recession To Hit World Economy With Likely Exception Of India, China: UN
- Spain Sees Record Death Toll With 849 Fatalities In 24 Hours: Govt
- Another Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh, Cops Ask People To Stay Indoors
- Hit Void: Who Would Like To Wipe A Year In Sport From The Records?
- From Akshay-Salman To Janhvi-Sara Ali Khan, Corona Will Spare None
- With $2.7B Reserves, FIFA Has 'Duty' To Aid Football