Inflation in manufactured goods remains a matter of concern despite a marginal decline in December, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today said, expressing hope that the overall rate of price rise would come down to 6-7 per cent by March-end.
"The manufactured inflation and inflation in the power group of items have also declined, though only marginally, (and) therefore, continued to be a cause of concern," he said.
Prices of manufactured products, which account for 65 per cent of the overall weight of the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) basket, went up by 7.41 per cent year-on-year in December, as against 7.70 per cent in the previous month.
"Headline inflation should be between 6 and 7 per cent in March-end, 2012," Mukherjee said, adding he was confident the moderation in inflation would continue in the coming months.
Inflation, as measured by the WPI, fell to a two-year low of 7.47 per cent in December, 2011, from 9.11 per cent in the previous month.
As per official data, prices of food items rose at a lower rate of 0.74 per cent in December, compared to 8.54 per cent expansion in the previous month.
The decline in December inflation, Mukherjee said, is "mainly due to a significant decline in inflation for primary articles, including food inflation."
He said good industrial production numbers for November, at 5.9 per cent, and a sharp decline in inflation indicates some improvement in overall macro-economic parameters in the second half of 2011-12.
"This trend is likely to consolidate in the coming months with some policy correctives," the Finance Minister added.
He also said that softening of prices of manufactured goods would be gradual, even as non-food primary inflation witnesses a rapid decline.
'Inflation in Manufactured Items Remains a Concern'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SC Issues Notice To Centre Over Article 370 Repeal, Refers Petitions To Five-Judge Bench
- 'Disagree With Govt...But No Room For Pakistan To Interfere In Kashmir': Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan Considering Complete Closure Of Airspace To India, Says His Minister
- BJP Leader Chinmayanand Booked After UP Girl, Now Missing, Accuses Him Of Harassment
- 'Cong Should Have Consulted Its FMs Before...': Sitharaman Reacts To 'Stealing' RBI Money Remark
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- ‘Cows Produce More Milk When Flute Played In Lord Krishna Style’: Assam BJP MLA
- 'Don't Demonise Modi' Not My Phrase...: Shashi Tharoor Hits Back At Critics
- Editors Guild Slams Press Council For Backing Media Ban In Kashmir
- 'Want To Do Skydiving Next,' Says The Man Whose Paragliding Video Has Internet In Splits
- Madrasa Teacher Beaten To Death In Delhi Over Argument On Price Of Headphone
- Kargil War Hero Impersonates Senior To Fly Amit Shah's Aircraft, Probe Ordered
- US Open: Sumit Nagal Goes Down Fighting Against Roger Federer
- Sindhu's World Gold Vs Saina's Olympic Bronze: Gopichand Has His Say