An Indian Navy ship on a patrol turned out to be the saviour of a large group of fishermen from here when they were allegedly being chased away by Sri Lankan Navalmen close to International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL), fisheries officials said today.
The fishermen had put out to sea in more than 600 boats yesterday after calling off their three-day old strike protesting detention of 23 fellow fishermen by Sri Lankan Naval personnel on June 20.
As they reached the area close to IMBL, they were chased away by Sri Lankan Navalmen who came in their patrol boats, the officials said quoting the fishermen who returned to the shores in the wee hours today.
However, the Sri Lankan Navalmen retreated on seeing the Indian Navy ship, they said adding the fishermen also told them they were able to fish without any trouble thereafter.
"We could fish without any problem till mid night and return to the shore," one of the fishermen told officials.
The fishermen had a good catch as they put out to the sea after a gap of four days, officials said.
Navy and Coast Guard officials said they have intensified patrolling in the region in the wake of arrest of the 23 fishermen by Sri Lankan navalmen.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had taken up the fishermen arrest issue with Prime Minister and sought his intervention following which Sri Lanka assured that the fishermen would be released soon.
The Rameswaram fishermen withdrew their strike after talks with district and fisheries officials on June 23.
Recurring attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy had been an issue for a long time. Sri Lanka accuses the fishermen of crossing the IMBL and fishing in the island waters, offering rich fish wealth.
Indian Ship Rescues Fishermen Trailed by SL Navy
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test, Day 4 LIVE: Bumrah, Ishant Destroy Windies
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- 3rd Test: Ashes On Fire As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India