Indian IT companies supported as many as 2.8 lakh jobs in America last year amid a gloomy employment scenario in the US and have invested a whopping over five billion dollars in FDI through acquisitions and green-field projects, according to India's top envoy here.
Addressing the Asia Society here yesterday, Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao said: "Our IT companies supported 280,000 jobs in the US last year.
"The IT companies have invested more than 5 billion dollars in FDI through acquisitions and green-field projects."
"The unemployment rate in the tech-space in this country is much lower than in manufacturing and that is where the effort is concentrated we believe today – to get back the jobs in manufacturing to this country," she said.
Acknowledging that India's trade and economic relationship with the US has not scaled the heights reached in US trade and economic ties with China, she said there are goals yet to be achieved in this area.
"The voices of Indian companies and business interests are often unheard in the audio stream of voices from the US side who are constantly urging India to 'do more' on the reform front," she said.
In this crescendo from the American side, is the political economy and anthropology of India understood sufficiently? she asked. "There is no question of the tide of economic reform in India being reversed."
"Look at the history of reform in India from 1991 onwards. Successive governments have come and gone, but the direction of reform has not been reversed, ever," she said.
"Do not take us at face value. When the chips are down, our system responds very well. As our Prime Minister told Secretary Clinton when they met in Delhi in May, 'the message I would like you to carry is that India remains open, and the climate (of reform) will not be disrupted'. The India Story is definitely not over," the Ambassador said.
'Indian IT Cos Supported 2.8 Lakh Jobs in US Last Year'
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly