India will seek access to Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist David Headley's wife Shazia and his accomplice in Mumbai terror attack, Tahawuur Hussain Rana, during the third Indo-US strategic dialogue to be held in Washington next week.
Highly placed official sources in New Delhi said the request will be
made by India at the sub-dialogue on the margins of the Indo-US
Strategic Dialogue which will be co- chaired by External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, next
Sources said the request to interrogate Shazia and Rana will be made
by Home Secretary R K Singh to his US counterpart Jane Holl Lute during
the Homeland Security, Counter-terrorism and Intelligence sub-dialogue
which will also be attended by Director of Intelligence Bureau Nehchal
India had access to 50-year-old Pakistani-American Headley, who
recced the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack targets for the LeT, but so far
have not been able to quiz his Pakistani- Candian businessman friend
Rana and wife Shazia.
Indian investigators into the 26/11 case believe that both Rana and
Shazia have lot of information and through their interrogations more
light may come into the conspiracy hatched to carry out the worst
terrorist strike in India and role of those behind it.
Home Secretary Singh will also visit US's National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) during the visit.
Official Spokesperson of MEA Syed Akbaruddin said the "Strategic
Dialogue is the principal platform to bring the different strands of the
broad-based and diverse agenda of bilateral engagement and pursue the
vision of India-US Global Strategic Partnership, outlined by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and President Barack Obama."
Krishna will be accompanied by Minister for Science and Technology
Vilasrao Deshmukh, Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi
Azad, Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia,
Prime Minister's Public Information Infrastructure and Innovation
Advisor Sam Pitroda, Minister of State for Women and Child Development
Krishna Tirath and Minister of State for Planning, S&T and Earth
Sciences Ashwini Kumar.
There will be several dialogues on the margins of and preceding the Strategic Dialogue.
Minister for Human Resource Development, IT and Telecommunication
Kapil Sibal will chair the Higher Education Dialogue with Clinton on
Kumar will co-chair the Joint Science and Technology Commission
Meeting with John Holdren, President Obama's Advisor on Science and
Azad will co-convene with Clinton and UNICEF, a Call to Maternal and Child Care Action on June 14-15 in Washington.
A number of sub-dialogues have also been scheduled on the margins of
this Strategic Dialogue, including the Global Issues Forum, Homeland
Security Consultations, Strategic Intelligence Dialogue, the
Counterterrorism Joint Working Group, Cyber Consultations, Information
and Communications Technology Working Group, the Women's Empowerment
Dialogue, Dialogue on Health Cooperation and other events.
Kishna will also have a restricted meeting with Clinton on June 13 before they chair the Plenary Session.
India to Seek Access to Headley's Wife, Aide From US
Lalit K Jha/New Delhi/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Makes Some Vaccinated People More Susceptible To Covid-19 Than Others? Experts Answer
- Can A Person Get Re-Infected After Recovering From Covid?
- Year’s First Cyclone ‘Tauktae’ Forming Over Arabian Sea, Likely To Intensify Further: IMD
- Big Companies Have Their Own Singers And They Get A Chance Easily: Sonu Nigam
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- Panic In UP's Unnao After Bodies Found Buried In Sand Near Ganga
- Covid: Planning To Buy Oximeter? Here’s What You Need To Know
- 'Cow Dung Therapy' Can't Beat Covid, May Trigger Black Fungus: Doctors
- Transmission Of Coronavirus Through Water Is Not A Concern: Experts
- Know Why Using Right Glassware Is Important While Mixing Your Drink
- Italian Open: Nadal Passes Sinner Test, Medvedev Crashes Out
- Atletico Madrid Edge Closer To La Liga Title, Beat Real Sociedad 2-1