India has taken up Shahrukh Khan's detention incident with the US and expressed its "deep concern" to it.
Noting that the detention of Indian superstar is an "incident that need not have happened," India's Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao told reporters, "We have taken it up with the State Department."
Rao, who was in the city for a Columbia University conference on India, said the Indian Embassy in Washington has issued a press note on the incident and "we would like to leave it that. "
She added that even Khan is no longer in the country and had left for India.
The Indian envoy said there was concern across India over the incident since Khan is an internationally renowned personality.
"It is not merely our concern but the concern of the whole nation which we sought to convey to the State Department and the US authorities so that they understand the depth of the concern that was expressed by us," Rao said.
A press note issued by the Indian Embassy in Washington said it has sought the State Department's intervention to put in place measures so that such incidents are not repeated in future.
"In order to convey the deep concern that has been expressed nationwide in India over this incident, the Embassy of India has taken up the matter with the US Department of State and sought the State Department's intervention to institute appropriate measures to avoid recurrence of such an incident in the future," the embassy statement said.
India Takes up SRK's Detention Incident With US
Yoshita Singh/New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly