India over the years has emerged as a role model for balanced economic growth for countries across the world, US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said on Tuesday.
"India in some ways is the model for how to produce broad-based economic growth, with a balanced growth in an equitable free market system," Geithner said addressing a meeting of India and American corporate leaders, policy makers and think-tank members at a conference on the 'US-India Economic and Financial Partnership' jointly organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Brookings Institute, a Washington-based think-tank.
On Tuesday, Geithner will lead a high-powered US delegation for discussions on the second India-US Economic and Financial Partnership being held at the Treasury.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee arrived in Washington on Monday morning leading an Indian delegation to attend what is being billed as the highest level economic meeting between the two countries.
"... India plays such an important role in the G-20 process, where we are trying to bring major emerging market economies together on things that are good for growth," Geithner said.
"We work very close together in all the major international economic and financial fora... Where India is playing a very important role," said the US Treasury Secretary, adding that the US and India are looking to build a strategic economic relationship.
"We have identified bunch of areas. We have very productive technical working exchanges underway like debt management, how to build a more effective (anti-) money laundering regime to areas like infrastructure finances," he said.
India Role Model for Balanced Global Growth: Geithner
Lalit K JhaWashington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- With 12,651 New Infections, Delhi Logs Lowest Daily Caseload In 4 Weeks
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Clueless Congress Continues To Stumble From One Electoral Defeat To Another
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- Japan, UNDP To Provide Oxygen Plants To Northeast States
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Wrestling's Image Tarnished Due To Accusations Against Sushil Kumar: WFI