Senior players were rested as India today named a second-string squad with Suresh Raina as the captain and Virat Kohli his deputy for the low-profile Zimbabwe tour starting later this month.
Regular captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and senior players Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Gautam Gambhir and Ashish Nehra were rested as the BCCI senior selection committee, which met here today, named a young 15-member squad with new faces galore.
Dinesh Karthik has been named the specialist wicketkeeper for the tour which begins with a tri-series -- also involving Sri Lanka -- on May 28 while Madhya Pradesh batsman-stumper Naman Ojha is also part of the squad.
Once the tri-series is over on June 9, leg-spinner Piyush Chawla will join the squad for India's subsequent two Twenty20 Internationals against Zimbabwe on June 12 and 13.
Apart from Karthik and Naman Ojha, the side includes specialist batsmen Murali Vijay, Raina, Kohli and Rohit Sharma, besides all-rounders in Yusuf Pathan and Ravindra Jadeja.
Leg-spinner Amit Mishra, left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha and offie Ravichandran Ashwin will spearhead the slow bowling department in the tri-series, while the largely inexperienced pace attack will comprise Umesh Yadav (Vidarbha), R Vinay Kumar (Karnataka), Ashok Dinda (Bengal) and Pankaj Singh (Rajasthan).
The selectors also announced a 16-member India 'A' squad for a tri-series in England, naming Cheteshwar Pujara as its captain and Wriddhiman Saha his deputy.
Zimbabwe Tri-series squad: Suresh Raina (capt), Virat Kohli (v-c), Murali Vijay, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Naman Ojha.
T20 squad: Suresh Raina (capt), Virat Kohli (v-c), Murali Vijay, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Naman Ojha and Piyush Chawla.
India 'A' team: Cheteshwar Pujara (capt), Wriddiman Saha (v-c & wk), Abhinav Mukund, Shikar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Manish Pandey, Sourav Tiwary, Iqbal Abdulla, Sudeep Tyagi, Dhaval Kulkarni, Abhimanyu Mithun, Kedar Jadhav, Manoj Tiwary, Jaskaran Singh, Bipul Sharma and Jayadev Unadkad.
India Names Raina As Captain for Zimbabwe Tour
THE LATEST ISSUE
- World Cup Live, IND vs ENG: Mohammed Shami Takes A Five-For, Ben Stokes Hits Fifty
- Donald Trump Shakes Hands With Kim Jong Un In Demilitarized Zone, Walks Into North Korea
- Amid Water Scarcity In Country, PM Modi Pitches For Water Conservation In 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Not Just Milk, What's Common Between Rishabh Pant and Virender Sehwag
- Gunshots In Air, Sweets To Police Personnel: Akash Vijayvargiya Supporters Celebrate MLA's Release
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- Pakistan Fans To Support India Vs England, Sing Jana Gana Mana
- WATCH | Puddles Of Water On Viewing Gallery's Floor In Sardar Patel's Statue Of Unity
- Muslim Mother Who Named Her Child 'Narendra Modi' Wants To Change His Name, But...
- Telangana: Woman Official Goes On Plantation Drive, TRS Men Thrash Her With Sticks -- VIDEO
- I Represent 'Inclusive India', Says Nusrat Jahan On Fatwa Over Her Attire
- Dangal Actor Zaira Wasim Quits Bollywood, Says It Was Leading Her To 'Path Of Ignorance'
- WATCH: Patient Dragged On Bedsheet To X-Ray Room In MP's Jabalpur, Three Suspended
- Movie Review: Article 15 Can Help Detox Those Hit By Kabir Singh’s Toxic Masculinity