Reeling under the impact of global slowdown and a high interest rate regime, India Inc today demanded that tax rates be retained at existing levels even as Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee expressed concerns about challenges facing the economy.
In their customary pre-Budget meeting with Mukherjee, industry leaders also demanded that healthcare services be kept outside service tax ambit, and privatise coal mines.
"There are various challenges before us, including keeping inflation and fiscal and revenue deficit to manageable levels... Which we all have to address collectively," Mukherjee said in his address to the industry leaders.
At the meeting, business leaders suggested that service tax base may be widened with a negative list, besides exempting infrastructure companies and SEZ units from MAT.
"We have made a case for retaining tax rates at the present level. There should be no increase in corporate tax, service tax and excise," Ficci President R V Kanoria said in the Budget expectation.
Mukherjee is likely to unveil the Budget proposals for 2012-13 mid-March in Lok Sabha.
He also made a case for privatisation of coal mines, stimulating demand through fiscal measures and revisiting the concept of dividend distribution tax (DDT).
CII National Committee on Healthcare Chairman Naresh Trehan sought infrastructure status for the healthcare sector as that would encourage companies in setting up hospitals in smallers cities and towns.
Besides finance and commerce ministry officials, the meeting was attended by ITC Ltd Chairman Y C Deveshwar, HUL MD and CEO Nitin Paranjpe, Suzlon Energy Founder Tulsi Tanti and representatives of industry chambers.
The industry leaders also sought infrastructure status for aviation, telecom and education sectors, and continuation of interest rate subvention scheme for exporters till March 31, 2013.
In order to improve healthcare, the industry suggested that a benefit of tax deduction of Rs 10,000 be given to citizens for preventive health check-up.
Industry representatives were in favour of a reduction in interest rates by 50 basis points to stimulate investment sentiment and stimulate demand.
They also demanded that exports be included in priority sector lending by banks and duty on ready-made garments be either reduced or withdrawn.
Company bosses also sought clarity on the timeline for introduction of Goods and Services Tax (GST), besides rationalisation of MAT -- a levy that was introduced to bring zero-tax paying companies into the net. At present, companies pay MAT at 18.5 per cent.
They also suggested implementation of the Direct Taxes Code (DTC) in its entirety to help arrest cases of tax evasion.
FIEO President M Rafeeq Ahmed said, "Interest rate for the MSME sector should be capped at seven per cent and others at nine per cent and subvention should be provided to all sectors of exports at least till March 2013."
FIEO also sought complete exemption of excise duty on handmade carpets, reduction of excise duty on man-made fibres to four per cent (from current 10 per cent).
India Inc for No Change in Tax Rates in 2012-13 Budget
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay High Court Grants Her Bail
- KKR Vs CSK LIVE: Mavi Removes Faf; Chennai 32/1 (4)
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- KKR Vs CSK: Jadeja, Faf Pull Off Most Stunning Catch - WATCH
- FIR Against Sachin Pilot's Media Manager For Reporting 'Phone Tapping'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Rafa On Attack, Says It's The Only Way