Asserting that the Indian Navy's visibility in the Indian Ocean has increased, Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma today said its ships are giving adequate protection to merchant vessels in the ocean.
"Our ships also go to the places in the Island nations where piracy is on rise. We help them out. We are very much visible in the Indian Ocean," Admiral Verma told reporters after the commissioning of the naval base depot INS 'Tanaji' at Mankhurd in Eastern suburbs.
In deepening maritime engagements with coutries in the far east, he said the Navy's eastern fleet task force had held joint exercises with their Japanese counterparts, the Chinese Navy and Philippines Navy.
"Today, the expectations, demands and educational qualifications of our sailors are significantly greater than before and consequently there is a need to be completely attentive to their aspirations," he said.
The Navy has established the armament depot in Mankhurd, which would be followed by the weapon equipment depot, store house of material organisation and production centres of Naval dockyard.
"The commissioning of INS Tanaji, named after Maratha warrior Tanaji Malusare, at Mankhurd today is therefore formal recognition of Navy's presence and continuing commitment towards the city of Mumbai," he said.
He said the strength of the Navy has more than doubled since the time when the bureau shifted in 1982 to this location (Mankhurd). "The numbers continue to grow as the Navy's functional requirement increases, with nation's geo-strategic responsibilities," he added.
The bureau also holds responsibilities with respect to human resource management of the sailors, he said.
The ceremony was attended by Flag officer, Commanding in Chief Western Naval Command, Vice-Admiral D K Joshi.
Increased Visibility of Navy in Indian Ocean: Nirmal Verma
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly