Asserting that the Indian Navy's visibility in the Indian Ocean has increased, Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma today said its ships are giving adequate protection to merchant vessels in the ocean.
"Our ships also go to the places in the Island nations where piracy is on rise. We help them out. We are very much visible in the Indian Ocean," Admiral Verma told reporters after the commissioning of the naval base depot INS 'Tanaji' at Mankhurd in Eastern suburbs.
In deepening maritime engagements with coutries in the far east, he said the Navy's eastern fleet task force had held joint exercises with their Japanese counterparts, the Chinese Navy and Philippines Navy.
"Today, the expectations, demands and educational qualifications of our sailors are significantly greater than before and consequently there is a need to be completely attentive to their aspirations," he said.
The Navy has established the armament depot in Mankhurd, which would be followed by the weapon equipment depot, store house of material organisation and production centres of Naval dockyard.
"The commissioning of INS Tanaji, named after Maratha warrior Tanaji Malusare, at Mankhurd today is therefore formal recognition of Navy's presence and continuing commitment towards the city of Mumbai," he said.
He said the strength of the Navy has more than doubled since the time when the bureau shifted in 1982 to this location (Mankhurd). "The numbers continue to grow as the Navy's functional requirement increases, with nation's geo-strategic responsibilities," he added.
The bureau also holds responsibilities with respect to human resource management of the sailors, he said.
The ceremony was attended by Flag officer, Commanding in Chief Western Naval Command, Vice-Admiral D K Joshi.
Increased Visibility of Navy in Indian Ocean: Nirmal Verma
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Rashid Reflects On Scoreboard Pressure