An "incorrect" flight path could have caused the crash of the Air India Express aircraft from Dubai at Bajpe airport here, a senior Airport Authority of India official said today.
The official, who visited the crash site, told PTI, "An incorrect flight path could have been a possible reason (for yesterday's mishap)."
The official, who refused to be identified, was called in to assist in the investigations into the crash, which killed all but eight of 166 people on board. The plane overshot the runway, veered off and plunged into a ravine before bursting into flames.
Speaking to reporters after visiting the crash site yesterday, Union Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel had said the aircraft did not contain itself within the limited space on touchdown and overshot the spillover area on the runway.
He had also stated that the runway was operationally compliant and technically fit for operating an aircraft of Boeing 737-800 series and the plane was just two-and-a-half years old with no history of defects or malfunctioning.
Patel had also said visibility was sufficient, the runway dry and the two pilots, including the commander, an expatriate from Serbia, had good flying experience.
The minister had, however, refused to comment on whether the accident was a result of pilot error and said he would await the report of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation, which is inquiring into the disaster.
Incorrect Flight Path May Have Caused Crash: Official
K Ramnath Shenoy/Mangalore
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- ‘It Is Indian Variant Of Covid-19’: Singapore Rejects Arvind Kejriwal’s ‘Very Dangerous’ Tweet
- American Vaccines Work Against Indian Covid-19 Strain: US Officials
- 100-Year-Old Mosque Demolished In UP's Barabanki: AIMPLB, Sunni Waqf Board Demand Probe
- Cong Accuses BJP Of Citing 'Fake Toolkit', Seeks FIR Against J.P. Nadda, Smriti Irani
- India's Institutional Rot: Jantar Mantar Is Just A Sundial. Period
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Critics Flay Shailaja Cabinet Exclusion As Kerala CPM Misogyny
- What BJP Wants: Keep Mamata Banerjee Away From Delhi
- Centre vs States: India’s Federal Structure At Stake?
- Army Opens Cafe At Kaman Post, Will Cross-LOC Trade Open?
- Former Bengal CM Buddhadeb Bhattacharya Contracts Covid-19
- Dr KK Aggarwal Believed Lord Krishna Was First Counsellor For All Illness
- Olympics Legend To Wanted Criminal: Sushil's Anticipatory Bail Plea Rejected
- BCCI To Discuss T20 World Cup Hosting, Domestic Season In SGM On May 29