A Hindu right-wing organisation in Goa has taken objection to a film section at the International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which pays tributes to painter M F Husain.
Hindu Janajagruti Samiti, which had sued the painter for his controversial paintings on Hindu Gods and Goddesses, has urged the organisers of the festival not to pay tribute to the painter.
Husain, who earned both fame and wrath for his paintings, died in London in June this year at the age of 95.
IFFI 2011, which will begin here from today, plans to show a documentary-- Through The Eyes of the Painter, directed by Husain on his journey through Rajasthan.
HJS delegation, led by women-wing chief Rajashree Gadekar, yesterday met Manoj Srivastava, the Chief Executive Officer of the Entertainment Society of Goa (ESG), asking him to drop the tribute section.
Gadekar told PTI that ESG, which is a state government body, however, told the members that the section is curated by the IFFI directorate. Since IFFI Director Shankar Mohan was not available, the delegation left a memorandum of demands at his office.
HJS has warned to stage an agitation, if IFFI goes ahead with the plan.
IFFI: Right-Wing Organisation Opposes Tribute to Husain
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths