A glittering ceremony marked the beginning of the ICC Women's World Cup Cricket championship, which is being held under the aegis of International Cricket Council this year for the first time, at the iconic Luna Park here today.
Cricket Australia Chairman and ICC director Jack Clarke launched the sixteen-day tournament, participated by eight countries including defending champions Australia, besides India and England.
"We look forward to the tournament showcasing women's cricket around the world. We hope that the staging of this event will further accelerate Cricket Australia's vision for women's cricket in this country.
"The ICC wants cricket to be a genuinely global sport and to achieve that goal cricket has to be a genuine global sport for girls and women, we as well as boys and men," Clarke said.
All the participants were photographed together in the shadow of famous Sydney Opera House. Players and officials were then ferried to the main venue, Luna Park for an official welcome function, hosted by former Australia cricketer Ian Healy, an ICC release said.
"This will be an exciting event which will take women's cricket to new heights and will hopefully produce role models. I know the competitors are extremely excited and so is the ICC as it the first time this event is being staged under our umbrella.
"It has only been four years since women's cricket came under the ICC's control but its rapid growth since that time can be gauged from the fact that from 15 members playing the sport in 2005, we now have 78 members who are involved in some form of women's and girls' cricket," ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said on the occasion.
India will now travel to Bowral where they will take on arch-rival Pakistan in the opening encounter on Saturday, while two-time champion England will take on Sri Lanka in Canberra on the same day.
This is the first World Cup since ICC's integration with the International Women's Cricket Council (IWCC) in 2005.
ICC Women's World Cup Kicks Off
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Narendra Modi To Address The Nation At 6 pm Today
- Not Afraid To Resign But Won't Let New Farm Laws Ruin Farmers: Punjab CM Amarinder Singh
- Bihar Elections: Will Chirag Paswan's Gamble Of Going It Alone Pay Off?
- DDLJ Turns 25: 10 Ways In Which The Iconic Film Changed Bollywood Forever
- Sindhu, Upset With Training, Flies To UK; Shuttler's Dad Denies Rift In Family
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Calcutta HC To Review No-Go Orders For Puja Pandals
- COVID-19: India’s Daily Cases Dip Below 50,000
- Why Punjab And Haryana Are The Hub Of Farmer Protests
- 'Harmful And Haphazard', Lawsuit Filed Against H1-B Regulations
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal Announces Rs 15 Crore For Telangana Flood Relief
- Rs.10,000 Crore Ayushman Sahakar Fund Launched
- Dhoni Gifts Buttler Shirt
- Srikkanth Slams Dhoni, Says CSK Skipper Keeps Talking 'Process'