A glittering ceremony marked the beginning of the ICC Women's World Cup Cricket championship, which is being held under the aegis of International Cricket Council this year for the first time, at the iconic Luna Park here today.
Cricket Australia Chairman and ICC director Jack Clarke launched the sixteen-day tournament, participated by eight countries including defending champions Australia, besides India and England.
"We look forward to the tournament showcasing women's cricket around the world. We hope that the staging of this event will further accelerate Cricket Australia's vision for women's cricket in this country.
"The ICC wants cricket to be a genuinely global sport and to achieve that goal cricket has to be a genuine global sport for girls and women, we as well as boys and men," Clarke said.
All the participants were photographed together in the shadow of famous Sydney Opera House. Players and officials were then ferried to the main venue, Luna Park for an official welcome function, hosted by former Australia cricketer Ian Healy, an ICC release said.
"This will be an exciting event which will take women's cricket to new heights and will hopefully produce role models. I know the competitors are extremely excited and so is the ICC as it the first time this event is being staged under our umbrella.
"It has only been four years since women's cricket came under the ICC's control but its rapid growth since that time can be gauged from the fact that from 15 members playing the sport in 2005, we now have 78 members who are involved in some form of women's and girls' cricket," ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said on the occasion.
India will now travel to Bowral where they will take on arch-rival Pakistan in the opening encounter on Saturday, while two-time champion England will take on Sri Lanka in Canberra on the same day.
This is the first World Cup since ICC's integration with the International Women's Cricket Council (IWCC) in 2005.
ICC Women's World Cup Kicks Off
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Outbreak Live Updates: Five More Test Positive In Indore, Cases In India Rise to 562
- Coronavirus: Deserted Roads & Airports, No Worshiper At Places Of Worship As India Goes Into Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic: Tracing The Travel History Of Kashmir's COVID-19 Positive Patients
- Outlook Goes Digital, Temporarily Suspends Print Edition
- Olympics Farewell Denied Or Delayed? Biles, Felix, Federer And Others Left In Limbo
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Wuhan, The Epicentre Of Coronavirus Pandemic, Resumes Bus Services
- Respect Doctors’ Sacrifice, Minimize OPD Visit: Indian Medical Association
- Economists, Activists Urge Govt For Coronavirus Relief Package For Poor
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Know Your Essential Services
- Coronavirus: Govt Allocates Rs 15,000 Cr To Strengthen Healthcare
- India Exercised Social Distancing Well, But Are We Prepared For Next Stage?
- India Under Lockdown: Here Are The Services That Will Remain Open
- BCCI Under Pressure As IPL Cancellation Looks Inevitable After 21-Day Lockdown