Tabla maestro Ustad Zakir Hussain has said that Grammy nominations for three Indians including himself is a proof that the world is recognising Indian art but the veteran is not too sure of himself grabbing a trophy.
"Three Indian representations for Grammy nominations is incredible and something that has never happened before," Zakir told PTI.
But, he feels Ustad Amjad Ali Khan who has been nominated in the best traditional world music category for "Ancient Sounds" made in collaboration with Iraqi Oud Soloist Rahim Alhaj has a good chance of winning.
"Even A R Rahman has a decent chance. But, I don't see myself winning," he said.
Ustad Zakir Hussain has been nominated for the 52nd Grammy award in the Best Classical Crossover album category for the album 'The Melody of Rhythm'.
The album consists of artists like Leonard Slatkin, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer apart from Hussain.
The Tabla icon said the album has an element of western classical, American folk music and Indian music. It is for the first time that an Indian musician has been nominated in this category.
"I don't see me winning because this category has three of the most popular albums in the western classical category and feature three greatest western classical musicians. We are the outsiders and it will be difficult to breach that aspect. However, it has been an incredible honour just to be nominated," he said.
"Awards for me are confirmation by colleagues and peers what you are doing is good and you have to go further," he said.
In 2009 also, Hussain had won the Grammy for the Contemporary World Music Album category for his collaborative album 'Global Drum Project' along with Mickey Hart, Sikiru Adepoju and Giovanni Hidalgo.
Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and Oscar-winning composer A R Rahman are the two other artistes from India to have bagged the nominations for Grammy awards, known as the Oscars of music industry.
The 52nd Grammy awards will be presented on January 31, 2010 at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles.
I Don't See Myself Winning Grammy: Zakir Hussain
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly