India-born celebrity fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander, sentenced to 59 years in prison for sexually assaulting aspiring models, has told a court here that he was a pauper.
The 36-year-old clothier, who has worked with such celebrities as Paris Hilton, said he was broke.
"I've been incarcerated since 2007," Alexander whined to Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Richard Carruthers yesterday during a hearing on charges that he sexually assaulted at least nine women and underage girls here between 2002 and 2006.
"I've been out of work since then," New York Daily News quoted him as telling the court.
The hearing in New York is separate from the case against Alexander in California, which concluded in 2008, with the designer being convicted of sexually assaulting seven women and girls, and receiving a sentence of 59 years' life- imprisonment.
Alexander, a former guest designer on America's Top Model, termed as "speculation" prosecutors claims that he was hiding money.
One of his city-paid lawyers, Adam Freedman, told the judge that his client "has no resources left."
He said Alexander needs two lawyers - paid USD 75 an hour each by taxpayers - because the case is "complicated."
At the hearing, Alexander pleaded not guilty to the New York charges. He faces 49 counts and up to 25 years in prison if he is convicted.
I Am Broke: Anand Jon Tells NY Court
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP